Sunday, February 18, 2007

Plumbing

I know there are people in other countries who would love to have my plumbing situation.

We have three bathrooms.

The upstairs bathroom is fine, except the kids use it exclusively and I hardly go in there. When I do, I faint, get out the gloves, and start scrubbing! Once in a while they stay on top of it and it's decent.

The other downside is, well, it's upstairs.

Downstairs are two bathrooms; a full bath and a 3/4 bath. In the 3/4 bath, the shower has never never worked. We use it for storage. :-) In the full bath, the toilet doesn't work. For John and myself, we use the toilet in the guest bathroom (and sink) then use shower in the full bathroom (and sink). I can't tell you how many days I've wanted to take a sledge hammer to the wall between the two so I would have ONE complete bathroom. (The only thing stopping me is not knowing if it's a load-bearing wall.)

Today, my darlin' decided to fix the toilet downstairs.

I'm still laughing about it!

He took the toilet completely off and discovered (drat!) tree roots, which means there's a break in the line somewhere. He then went and rented a root-cutting plumbing snake and went to work on the drain. Comically, a few times his rubber gloves got so twisted up in the snake, his wrists were bent inward and he had to holler for us to come and reverse the snake to untwist his hands! (hee hee!). He soon went to leather, which doesn't help with the wetness, so that problem was solved.

Things looked good, water poured down the hole in the floor went down without problems. He told Kelly to go and flush the "good" toilet downstairs to see what would happen.

Bad idea.

Water went everywhere in BOTH bathrooms, and we discovered that his aggressive use of the snake knocked a hole in the bottom of the OTHER toilet!
Pondering what we would do for a bathroom at this point, the girls and I had the following conversation.

Kelly: Good thing we found your gardening shovels, Mom.
Glenna: Kelly! That's gross!
Mom: Oooh, good point, Kelly. Of course, it's awfully cold outside to have our behinds hanging out.
Dad: You guys are freakin' hilarious.

Now, he's off to price not one, but TWO new toilets.

:-D

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

You all are so funny! I must admit that I share the sledge hammer dreams, though. The typical Russian apartment style is separate closets for the toilet and the sink/shower. Why can't they just be in one room?!?!?

Mrs said...

Oh! That would make me crazy! Could you at least take the doors off if they're somehow connected?

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker