Friday, April 27, 2007

If you give a bird a feeder . . . .

I found this cute bird feeder at Khols. It looks like a little yellow cottage and it's hanging in the backyard tree. So far, I've only seen a bird eat out of it once! It's usually being raided by a squirrel, hanging upside down with his toes clinging to the roof, throwing the seeds about. This brings me to my observations:

If you hang a bird feeder, it will attract a squirrel.
If you attract a squirrel, it will attract a cat.
If you attract a cat, it will attract a teen with a paintball gun.
If he paints the cat (AND the squirrel), the cardinals will come!

He had a great shot, too, from the upstairs window. I was impressed! No cats or squirrels were harmed, but a few of them are walking around with yellow paint spots on their heads. Don't worry. It washes right off and is non-toxic. Hopefully, it discourages them from using my back yard as their potty stop!

We have this hose in the front yard that drips a little bit. I bought a terracotta saucer and put it under the hose drip -- instant bird bath! I have been rewared already by watching the cardinals drink and bathe from it. They also love the little bird feeders that look like picnic benches placed where the squirrels can't reach them.

So far, I've only seen cardinals, bluejays, and mourning doves. I know there's got to be more bird types in Florida! Oh, I've seen them all disappear when our resident red-shouldered hawk comes by. That's one beautiful bird.

2 comments:

ThriveYouth said...

oh don't worry, I wasn't concerned about the cats. :] This is such a funny story.

I actually just came from JCPenny, where I purchased a new ring. No, it doesn't replace my old one, but it is very beautiful! Maybe all that ring shopping we did happened just in time; I knew just what I wanted!
It won't come for 2-3 weeks, because I'm having it sized.

Surprisingly enough, my arms weren't sore at all. I'm going to tell my piano teacher I pumped some iron on Tuesday. ;]

ThriveYouth said...

P.S.
"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" is one of my favorite children's books!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker