Monday, September 15, 2008

Class Time

In this, our 11th year of homeschooling, Glenna has reached a milestone. She is finally taking a class from someone other than her mother. That's her with her head turned, but I don't know if she actually knew I was taking a picture. The girl is not camera shy.


I am so thankful for the homeschool community here. We are able to help each other out in weak areas :cough: Algebra :cough: so we're never left feeling like we have to do this all alone. For years, my older two have taken English composition with Mrs. R. While I teach this class myself now, if Mrs. R is teaching it next year then Glenna will be taking it with her. Hear that, Mrs. R? Add Glenna to your list! She's simply excellent. Her clear, concise instruction allows students to tackle any writing assignment with confidence and skill. Plus, Glenna will have to work much harder than she does with moi and I'm ready to giggle with glee over that.

Tyler and Kelly have taken science classes with Mrs. S., and it's an honor and privilege for them to do so. Mrs. S. is a marine biologist who has chosen to stay home and school her own children. In fact, she wrote the Marine Biology textbook for Apologia Science, which is the curriculum we use! She has a passion for science and brings it to life for her students. We were fortunate to get in on General science and make her "list." She only offers a few classes per year because she basically invites other homeschoolers to join in on whichever science she's teaching her own children, and there's usually a waiting list of students trying to get into her classes. Emily is Glenna's age, so hopefully Glenna will be able to join them for Physical science, Biology and either Chemistry (hah!) or Marine Biology (preferred). If Mrs. S. doesn't teach Marine Biology to Emily, I'll have to bribe Mrs. RZoo with chocolate chip cookies to do it.


Here are the mostly 7th grade students for General Science. They are too cute, and they can't help it. I love middle school kids!


Wednesdays are our crazy days. If it's my turn to do the carpool to science, we both pack a lunch. We drive to two carpool stops, go to Mrs. S., then head back half-way to exchange one student for two more. Then we head to Mrs. RZoo's house for Marine Biology with Mrs. RZoo and Sewing with Mrs. G. Kelly has already been picked up by Mrs. G. and we meet her there (our first greeting of the day). Glenna has been working on various sewing projects while Kelly does Marine Biology. We then leave half the carpool with Mrs. G. for transport, head back to my house with Kelly, Kate, Chico, and Glenna, do some dance lessons or more craziness, then dinner and AWANA. Wednesdays are very long days!


Still, I am so thankful that I can be home with this face.
This face, and a couple of others.

Sweetheart, I'd even do algebra for you. Just please, don't ask me to! Allie B? Next year?

No comments:

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker