Monday, September 01, 2008

For the Hunsuckers

Dear Hunsuckers,

We have started our study of Russia. For me, it means I think of each of you every day! I know you are now in the Ukraine, but I also know we will learn so much about the land you love. I wanted to give you a peek into one of our first co-ops with the L family and the other W family.

We began this week by learning about the Slavic peoples. We drew pictures of what a Slav village may have looked like in the marsh land where they lived. We drew houses on stilts with lots of animal skins and carvings.

Then, we learned about babushkas! We decided to make our own miniature babushkas from eggs and other edible ingredients.

Here's Elise, hard at work:


She loves her babushka! Carrot hair, cloves for eyes, and a carrot mouth.


Here's Jordan's babushka. He didn't want to use any glue on his because he wanted to eat it afterwards. We took the picture quickly before everything slid off:
The green olives are supposed to be for her cheeks, but he kind of made them earrings instead.


This is Josh, and it's his first year of home schooling! I don't know what he may have been expecting, but I bet he wasn't expecting this!

Josh inherited his mother's craft gene. As in, please don't ask me to do crafts. I'm so proud of him for jumping in and doing it anyway.

Glenna and Rachel have already had a year of co-ops together (as well as Jordan and Elise, though we missed having them last year). They got right to work.

Here's Rachel's babushka! Her green olives are closer to the cheek area, which is good. Still, I wonder if we should have used something else there, like pimientos.


Lastly, I must think Glenna more closely captured the spirit of the babushka with this:
What do you say, Mrs. Hunsucker?

:-D

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hunsucker's mom is delighted with your artistry.

Phyllis said...

I love it! The babushki are awfully cute, although the real ones might not be too flattered by them. :-) And I love to see the kids at work! Did you tell them about how the babushki torment me? Lately Will has been saying that I need to write down some of the things they say.

(How am I Mrs. Hunsucker? Yes, I've been married for 7 years, but Mrs. Hunsucker is my MIL.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe I could suggest this to my Intro to Ed. teacher! She said we could make bracelets or listen to music in class, so I'm sure she'd be up for babushkas.

P.S. So glad you got to see your brother, if only for a few hours.

Mrs said...

Ha ha! I came to Florida and became Mrs. W, so it's about time for you to be Mrs. Hunsucker! Or, if you prefer, my children could call you Miss Phyllis.

It was while I was describing your babushki tormentors that Glenna decided to put her mouth on as a frown. I would LOVE to share with them some of the things they've been saying to you!

Phyllis said...

Okay, there's a blog post just for you ready and waiting. Come on over! :-)

Raquel said...

"It's like I always say, dudes, you can tell a lot about a person by the way they make their babushkas."

To Jessie:
I can't leave comments on your blog anymore! :-( we are getting a new computer, though, so maybe I will be able to on there.
I found some plain navy and gray fabrics today, so i can make your bag now! I will give it to Kelly as soon as it is finished.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker