Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

This is my lame excuse for not posting about Himself's birthday. It was May 2nd.

He's older now.

Happy Birthday, Honey!



When we lived in California, Cico de Mayo was a pretty big deal. We could always count on a big fiesta at the school, picnics with carne asada and lots of tortillas and rice and beans, and loud Mexican music.

I loved it.

I didn't care so much for the booming rap music that came along later, but loved the traditional mariachis! I loved the Mexican women in their long, flowing skirts, their dark hair braided into buns with red flowers. I loved the Mexican vaqueroes with their decorative sombreroes, short jackets, and slim pants with braiding down the sides. I loved their beautiful horses and saddles studded with silver. I especially loved the rope tricks they would do while riding, the huge lassos encircling themselves and their horses as they rode down the street! They were positively regal.

Last night, Glenna and I watched The Mask of Zorro. Though the movie was filmed completely in Mexico, my longing for California, the California of my childhood, was a deep and physical thing. I wanted to smell the sage and licorice plants, to walk barefooted in the red dirt, to feel the iceplant crush beneath my toes as I climbed the steep cliffs down to the beach. I wanted to see the beautiful manzanita wood and hear the bees buzzing among the mustard weed. I love California!

Unfortunately, it would be too impossible to live there now. Who could afford it? How did we endure such congestion? I know we have congestion here as well, but we're talking six lanes of San Diego freeway (in each direction, so 12 lanes total) and the traffic is still down to a crawl.

My visit last summer was beautiful and difficult. I don't want to be discontent, I want to be where God wants me and He obviously wants us here.

Still, it sure would be great to visit again. :-)

1 comment:

Pam said...

Ahhh! I should have called you for advice! We're having a Cinco de Mayo dinner at our house with our Bible study tonight. Not sure it's going to be authentic like the Cinco de Mayo celebrations you talked about, but it'll be fun just the same.
I can imagine how you long for California! Our family made a trip out there several years ago and it was absolutely beautiful! However, I know one person who's especially glad you moved to Orlando! :-)

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker