Monday, June 23, 2008

Beach Bliss

After a day at the fair, we had to run an errand in Oceanside. Mark went right up I-5, which of course runs right along the beach. I quietly asked, "Do you think we could possibly stop at the beach on the way home, just long enough for me to put my toes in?"

Taylor exploded with excitement. I guess it's been a while since she put her toes in the surf, too! She had gone to Hawaii, surfed, came home, and was soon diagnosed with cancer.

Mark graciously agreed. We knew we wouldn't stay long as there were horses to feed and dinner to attend. A moment was enough!

On the way home, we went along the Pacific Coast Highway. Mark doesn't know how to drive slowly enough, so I grabbed what pictures I could as we were speeding along. I tried to capture shots to show my children what I love about the beaches in California, specifically in Oceanside and Carlsbad (Leucadia is my favorite, though).



Along the coast, most of the buildings have some kind of beach scene painted along the sides.


This is a little beach hotel or restaurant. I couldn't tell because we were going too fast.


Like Park Ave here in Winter Park, or Rodeo Drive, or El Paseo in the desert, there are shops and restaurants that line the street. Unlike the previously mentioned places, you can show up in flip flops and shorts, or even stop by the place on your bicycle. If you're not hauling a surfboard, a bicycle is the preferred mode of transportation.


This was my absolute favorite surf shop: Off Shore Surf Shop. It's listed on the side of this building, with Harbor Fish in the front. I don't think I ever bought more than a bumper sticker, but how I loved going in there!


Hello, beautiful. It's so very, very good to see you again! I've missed you . . . .
Ok, I'm not talking about the guy obviously. I'm talking about the wave in back. Look at that beautiful form! Look at the curl! Look at the power in the wave! We had just passed many, many surfers. Mark didn't want to stop there, though.


So hello, good friend! I want to be next to you . . . from my head, for my heart, for it's true . . .


A pink beach cruiser. More waves forming in the back. I couldn't wait to get out of the car at this point!


This is the family, heading to the surf. My shoes were left in the car since I knew I wouldn't be needing them at this point. I looked like a total tourist, but I didn't care. I knew the truth! I was coming home to the beach I knew and loved, body surfed, boogie boarded, frisbied and smash-balled.


Here, I'm looking to the right and facing NORTH. My world is right once again. You can seen the jetty sticking out, and on the other side of that are the surfers. Yes, that is a person sitting in the sand. We didn't have to worry about thinks like lice. Sand fleas maybe, but not lice. LOL



Come on, Taylor. Let's go say hello. At this point, there was a smile on my face that didn't leave until I went to bed.




I still remembered the power and timing of the waves. We were only allowed up to our knees (wisely) so I would watch the wave crash and yell, "Back, back, back!" when I knew it would come up way past that, even though we seemed to be far enough away.

The Pacific is powerful. I was just at the Atlantic yesterday and it was a gentle lap-pool compared to the Pacific. I know it can get pretty gnarly with hurricanes and all, but the Pacific has such beautiful form and grace. It also seemed much cleaner. It was definitely colder!

My friends, BA and ML, think the Pacific is freezing. I found it completely refreshing! Had I been in swimsuit with fins, I would have dove right in for hours. BA, it's honestly warmer than Rock Springs!

Yesterday, the Atlantic was like bathwater. It was not refreshing at all. Atlantic, I have tried to like you. I have. Could we simply remain acquaintances?


This picture is for you, BT, so you know exactly where we were. The only things missing were you and Kazebee!

In my hand, you see the rocks that caused me to be searched at the airport. I didn't care.



While my back was turned, the Pacific reminded me that it was still a force to be reckoned with. It came up behind me and gave me a playful boot to the bottom!


I didn't mind. Truly. I still love you and respect you, my beautiful Pacific.


< ------------------------------South. North ------------------------------------->


Here you go, Mom. My foot and Mark's foot, and we're not even kicking each other. He's a great man, Mom. His family is great, too. And, we all miss you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pacific Coast truly is beautiful! We loved driving up the Pacific Coast Highway last summer even though it was cold :-).

I'm so glad you got the opportunity to go "home".

Bagel Two said...

I know you're back already, but I really wished I was there with you when I saw these pictures. O pacific, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...It reminds me again about the first weeks in Ohio, when I moaned about the loss of you. Ohioans said, "We have the beach, here. Let's go to the lake!"

The lake is NOT the beach. Sigh.

Wonderful pictures of the family, too!

Mrs said...

No, the lake is certainly NOT the beach. Here, the lakes contain creatures with the ability to EAT YOU. Sure, there's sharks and all that, but I've never worried about sharks in the Pacific as I have in the Atlantic.

BA, that's one beautiful drive! PCH all the way!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker