Monday, July 14, 2008

First Haircut

It's a pretty cool feature here at Blogspot that you can schedule when things will post. I have since left for summer camp in Tennessee, so I won't be posting again until at least Saturday (Sunday if it takes me longer to recover).



As you know, our son, Tyler, does this:
Lately when he's been playing, his hair was totally out of control. Tyler inherited the W gene that makes hair get bigger and not necessarily longer. He'd love to have long hair, but his genes won't allow it without major chemical interference.

I'd been doing a pretty good job on his hair since his first haircut at age 2. This rock hair, however, was getting to be beyond my ability. Of course I took him straight to Ruthie! So here you have it, Ty's first haircut by anyone but me!
The whole experience was a bit strange for him. Look how Mr. Twelve Foot Torso hangs off at the shampoo bowl!


I had forgotten to take a "before" picture, so I got one like this. Still, I think it's easy to see how out of control the hair had gotten.


Ruthie walked him through the whole process and let him know each step as she was doing it. She also complemented me on the "guides" I had left in his hair, which made me smile. She did so much with a razor and texture shears and that's what made all the difference. It has been almost 20 years since I've worked in a salon, so anything beyond a little boy cut or a little girl cut is more than I care to do. Besides, I really wasn't that good at it.


This is the mandatory back of the head check. He had never done this with a mirror before, so it was comical to watch him figure it out. In fact, he had never had his hair cut in front of a mirror before!

Yep, I'm liking it already. I knew Ruthie would give us what we were looking for. I had to laugh when Ty said, "It looks just like it did before, except thinner and neater and nicer."

Yes, Son, now you get it. You have to pay to have your hair thinner and neater and nicer!


And now, may I present the coolest picture of Tyler ever?



I guess there's no keeping the ear gauges from Grandma now, huh?

I think he looks great, and totally like a drummer! Thanks, Ruthie!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm I must say he looks like the coolest brother ever. ;)

Bagel Two said...

Wow. Not to slam your haircutting skills, J, but it was worth every penny!

Mrs said...

Oh, not slammed at all! I definitely know my limitations.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker