Monday, October 23, 2006

October

It's so hot. We've even reached 92 degrees! There's supposed to be a cold front moving in this week. I PRAY it's true. I feel nothing but hot all the time.

October heat is the worst, because it's SUPPOSED to be fall!

The neighbor cut down a beautiful tree between their property and ours. Kelly enjoyed looking at it from her window. I enjoyed the tiny yellow flowers it would produce, then these pink blooms would follow. (I know you who are horticulturally minded would be able to tell me the name of the tree. They're quite common in Florida. I only know it's not a crepe myrtle.) Anyway, what Kelly and I saw as beautiful, the menfolk saw as a "messmaker" and decided it should come down. Now there's nothing but a bare trunk outside the window, which I'm sure they'll gleefully dispose of once a chainsaw is found.

Time to prepare for English students.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

It sounds like a Golden Rain Tree. I can't stand it when men start hacking on trees!

Mrs said...

Does a Golden Rain tree get these pink flowers that look like tissue after the yellow ones leave? They're all over my street right now, and all over Florida. I should try to post a picture of one.

Well, now he gets to stare at an ugly, 6 foot stump. I guess that's as far as they could cut without a chainsaw.

Phyllis said...

Yep. The pink "flowers" would be the fruit (or seed pods?). Pull them apart and you'll see a few seeds, if they're fully developed.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker