Saturday, March 01, 2008

Something Fishy

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
- Mark Twain

The girls and I were talking about a similar topic the other day. How many of us have grown up with a real pest in elementary school, and then he grows up and gets married, has a high-paying job, or runs for mayor? How difficult is it for us to see anything but a pest?

He speaks, but all we can think is, I know the fish.

If there's one thing I do know, it's that God can change people. I've seen it happen time and time again. I have seen the ones I love most in the world go from firmly resisting God to amazing teachers and readers of His word, their lives completely transformed.

When I speak with a new wife and ache for her as she weeps over her unsaved husband, I can't help but have hope and confidence. What seems so impossible is so possible! But, only God can do it. Only God can change hearts.

And oh, how He loves to change hearts. Just look at what He's done with the heart that comes home to me each and every night. I'm still in awe.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is something that I've been thinking about a lot of late, particularly how it relates to missions.
You're dead on when you say that only God can change hearts! But what an encouragement it is to know that we don't have to say "the right thing" to evoke a "right response". Our responsibility is to love and to pray, and God is faithful to take care of the rest!
Thanks for the reminder!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker