Thursday, April 10, 2008

Detoxing

Many of you know how much I suffer from migraines.



Mr. Bennett! Have you no consideration for my poor nerves?

Of course I do, my dear. They've been my constant companion these 20 years.



My friend, Jess, is exploring a type of migraine relief and keeping track of the results for me.

A book was recommended to me by a friend who has also suffered from migraines. It has been so educating to learn exactly what a migraine is, how the pain relievers I use are actually not helping the situation, and how all of this can be controlled. Not eliminated completely, but controlled.

I remember slightly following the dietary steps in this book years and years ago. I also taught step-aerobic classes at our church at that time. It was the best I ever felt! Diet and exercise are key to control. Boy, isn't that how it always is? 100 years from now the doctors will still be saying the same thing; diet and exercise. Oh, and sleep. And low stress. Anyway, when I became pregnant with Kelly, all dietary restrictions went out the window, and I haven't gone back since.

This book has revealed that while I took some steps, it really wasn't enough.

This morning I have tossed out all the decaf coffee [sob] and left only herbal tea that's naturally caffeine-free. I did leave one bag of decaf coffee from my friend Janet, whose son brought it from Starbucks. I'll have it here for guests.

I'm also "detoxing" from all the pain relievers (Excedrin) I had been taking. This means that I have a constant headache, low or strong (it varies), which should end in a couple of weeks. I may not have a spring in my step for a while, but I'm working on it!


There's myriad lists of foods I can't eat, but there's also myriad foods I CAN eat! The last thing I want this to turn into is a burden for my friends and family. Please, if I can't eat it, I'll pass. If I can eat it, I will. I will not starve! I'm fine, really!

I am tired of living with pain. The person who gave me this book went from 10 to 15 migraines per month to only 3 since January, since there are simply some migraines one cannot avoid. I'll take that any day!

So, my main foods to avoid are:

Chocolate [sob]

Caffeine [duh]

Decaf (has more caffeine than we know. Caffeine-free is fine. Green tea is not. Sigh.)

Aged cheeses (cottage, ricotta, cream cheeses are fine)

Citrus [sob] (Back to berries and apples!)

processed meats (bacon, hot dogs, salami, etc., probably ham)

Nitrites

Nitrates

MSG (many times this is listed as "natural flavoring." Did you know that?)

Vinegar (except pure white)

All nuts (seeds are fine) and nut butters. No peanut butter!?! How will I survive?

Raisins and dried berries, like cherries and cranberries (they may have been processed with a type of MSG. I wonder if organic is OK?)

Onions, even onion powder (I didn't like them raw, but I put them in a lot of foods. Spring onions, shallots, leeks, scallions, and garlic are all right.)


The good news is that once I have raised my "pain threshold" to a more manageable level, I may be able to gradually reintroduce some of these foods. Or, I may just decide I prefer living without them.


Prayers appreciated. Again, let's not make a big deal out of it, and don't worry about what to feed me. :-) I'm fine.

Really.


Or, I will be.


Hopefully.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a lot of change is headed your way.
(Not that I'm worried, or anything. ;)

I hope it works out for you. You can explore this one for me, okay? :D

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

I'll be praying it works for you. The dietary changes will be worth it to be free of the headaches - and there are still many wonderful, fresh tasty foods that you are allowed. We strive to avoid MSG for other reasons and have found that, in general, processed foods are right out. Makes shopping simpler.

Phyllis said...

As a fellow migraine-sufferer, I am very interested in your results. Please keep us updated! And I will be praying.

Bagel Two said...

I know how hard it is to cut foods out of your diet. I'm rooting for you, honey. Love.
Citrus and onions, who would have thought?

Mrs said...

Thanks, all. Phyllis, I'll definitely post updates here!

Dawn, we don't generally eat processed foods. I was so disappointed to see nitrites and nitrates in lunch meat! Does this mean I have to buy the expensive Boar's Head stuff?

I thought I was cruising right along and over the worst of the detox headaches. I had taken Midol for cramps and DRAT! It has caffeine! Today is a headache.

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

I don't know about Boar's Head. I've found some 'natural' oven roasted turkey - I think Hormel makes it. But beware the smoked turkey or any ham because they have nitrites by virtue of the natural smoking process - no additives needed. Are you avoiding sulfites? or -ites in general?

Mrs said...

I remember the "roasted, not smoked" rule from before. Thanks for reminding me WHY.

That's what I'm going to have to make up a little card for and carry around; I was confused on the -ites as well. And soy. Soy Good? Soy Bad?

Believe it or not, there's a process in protein powder that makes it on the list! I have a jar of whey protein that I'm not sure I can use. I'll have to go back to Costco and read the label.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker