Monday, August 25, 2008

School Days and Migraine Update

Our first week of school passed smoothly.

Too smoothly.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Surely, I can't be getting up on time, having quiet time, eating healthfully, checking school work daily, and preparing meals. Surely, we haven't finished actual projects. Surely, we don't have supplies readily available and in their place!

It's too good to be true. It probably also explains why AWANA is starting this week. Have you ever been on a merry-go-round, spinning along at your own leisurely pace, when suddenly your teen brother runs by and sends you spinning so quickly you can barely hold on? AWANA will probably be the teen brother to my merry-go-round!

In other news, I had blogged here about my migraines and a diet that was supposed to cure them. I started this in April, so it's been 4 months. Though I haven't followed it perfectly (I often forget which items in the list of ingredients that are actually MSG) I have followed it pretty generally. Here are the results so far:

I feel great.

I feel amazingly great.

I've lost 12 lbs.

Except for the first two weeks, any headache I've gotten has either been cyclical, or I ate something I shouldn't have. Even so, I would take Naproxen, go to bed, and be fine. No need for two days of agony. No need to shut the blinds and pray for mercy. No need for my family to try to function quietly without me so they don't disturb me.

I am so thankful, and yet thankful isn't a strong enough word!

I sometimes (like now) feel like I have a dull headache, but I also know I've been eating my favorite chipotle cheese and lime dip from Costco so it's no less than I diserve. Still, I am upright and functioning fully!

Since it's been 4 months, I'm now ready to start re-introducing foods to see if they trigger migraines. I'm really hoping bananas are ok. I'm really hoping avocados are ok, too. This California girl is crippled without them!

I actually don't miss the cheese so much. What I miss are lattes! Still, I've saved money and lost weight without them. There are just certain times of the month when I. Want. Chocolate. Don't give me that psuedo white chocolate poser, either. If I can't have the real thing, I won't have anything.

So, it's working out.

Here's the book, if anyone else is tired of being in pain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better these days. :-) I'm reading the book so I can better understand what Jess is dealing with and to know what to buy and cook for her. It's challenging, but it'll be worth it if it helps. Thanks for sharing the book with us!

Anonymous said...

I'm not starving yet, so week two seems to be going relatively well. :)

Bagel Two said...

Hi Doll--

I'm so glad your anti-migraine diet thingie is working. It would be a shame after all that trouble! Got your snail mail, by the way! Thanks for that. It made my day. Things have been so incredibly busy. I will shoot you an email later today! Kisses.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker