Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Heartfelt Thank You

When Ty left, he took his iPod and left his CDs, giving his sisters permission to listen to them.

It's been a feeding frenzy, friends!

Kelly grabbed all the cool ones Ty has kept to himself (the one from Copeland he said was his all-time favorite and none of us have heard; same with Underoath) but Glenna went right for the old Five Iron Frenzy.

She plays this while we do the dishes or chores and it makes me smile every time. It's such a vivid reminder of Ty in his pre-teen and Jr. High years! By the time he was 12, he could play the entire CD of FIF's "Quantity is Job One" on his bass guitar. Have you listened to it lately? Those bass lines are intense and wonderful!

As I was listening last night, I couldn't help but think of another young man. Now a Daddy with children of his own, he patiently taught Tyler bass guitar lessons for two years. Not only did he let him learn fun FIF songs, he also challenged him with music theory, even theory at a college level. Ty's skills as a musician, his love and knowledge of music are a direct result of his input, time, and efforts.

This same young man also helped bring our toddler Glenna out of painful shyness when it came to the teen boys at our church. Every Sunday for the first two years of our lives in Florida, he would kneel down at church, speak quietly to her, ask her for a hug, then resignedly smile and say, "Ok Glenna, maybe next time."

Glenna did eventually give him a hug. It was the talk of the church!


In fact, later on I passed a group of teen boys in church one Sunday in time to hear one of the boys boast, "Glenna talked to me!" The others gasped, "No way! What did she say?" Glenna was only three!


Thinking of this young man naturally led me to think of his wife. Also a teen from our church, Glenna had no problem sitting on her lap or talking to her. Kelly also enjoyed talking with her and being with her.

Through their courtship and eventual marriage, I was thrilled with the example they gave my children of a relationship that honored the Lord and each other. They were fun, the coolest teens around, yet they weren't above spending time with young children and investing in their lives. In fact, Glenna invited them to her fifth birthday party, and they came! They even asked Glenna to be their flower girl.

David and Sarah, I wanted to say thank you for the many ways you've influenced the lives of my children. The simple input of your time and yourselves have made a difference, more than you know. As parents, you probably know what it means to pray for godly people to walk along with you on this journey. My prayer for your children is that they will have a "David and Sarah" of their own.

God bless you, my friends.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gasp! Never heard Copeland's Eat, Sleep, Repeat??
That's my all-time favorite, too!

What a sweet tribute. I hope to leave an example like this.

agable said...

This is precious. I love Dave and Sarah. They are awesome parents and friends.

Himself said...

I'm so glad you remember these things. It makes me want to like David and Sarah allover again..... Hey I think I will. I agree with the MRS. and I'm Thankful for all the young and now old(David) people that move in and out of my children's life and make and leave a godly impression on them. I think its even cooler that they didn't even think about the effect they where just themselves.
That's the good stuff.

Sarah said...

I know all your children will do what they know is right, if they continue walking in His way. We love you all.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker