Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday is Guest Star Day!

Here's a small taste of the excellent post by Mary Grace:

For me, the cost of that kind of life is more that I care to pay. Even though it is tempting, when I begin to see my life through the eyes of those who "have more," to begin to feel discontent with my surroundings or my stuff, I am brought back to the image of my hulking sofa, circa 1980. By the world's standards, it is an item that--like full-time mothering--has outlived its usefulness. But it is beautiful. Not for the sake of itself, of course ... but for how it has served. There is no glamour, no fame, and no show in patiently tending to a small flock of souls days after day. There is no honor or glory associated with serving hot meals and putting the laundry on hold long enough to fit in a game of UNO. -Books and Bairns

I know, I know, yet another blog supporting the stay-at-home Mom. I needed these words. Perhaps one of you need them as well.

3 comments:

agable said...

I am so thankful for these words today! Just yesterday, I was told by a relative that being a stay-at-home mom was setting a bad example for my son, limiting myself, blah blah blah.
I plan on staying home with Logan as long as I can when he is young. Why pay a childcare worker when I can be the one to take care of him? I know that unfortunately, a lot of new mommas have to leave their babies everyday to earn a paycheck.Eventually,I might have to do the same, but as long as we are able, I feel this is the best decision for our family.

Anonymous said...

That's exactly right, Angela! When we decided that I would stay home, it was a big step of faith because we didn't know how we'd make it. But make it we did, with the Lord's help and our willingness to sacrifice. I won't lie...staying at home is sometimes boring and difficult but it is definitely worth it and I wouldn't do it any other way.

BA

Gafut said...

My hubby got me the book, "In Praise of Stay at Home Moms" by Dr. Laura, and I was just reading it last night - encouragement upon encouragement! Check the used book store, I think Hillary donated her copy, and it doesn't smell like apple pie! HAHAHAHAHA

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker