Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Journaling

How many of you journal?

I have kept a journal since the year I married Himself. I haven't posted daily or even monthly, but there's a definite record of the ups and downs of married life, as well as our spiritual walk, the births of our children, and our countless moves around Florida.

I have no idea whom will ever read this. I suppose my children (though I doubt Ty will, ha!). I have a grandmother who died before I was born . . . I often wish she had kept a journal so I could have known her.

Right now, I'm reading Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secrets. He lived in the late 1800s and started the China Inland Mission. The spiritual truths he learned through his trials, heartaches, and triumphs are blessing my socks off today! They're still so relevant to what Christians face in their daily walk with God. This morning it really struck me; I would have missed out on this blessing if he never wrote anything down! He wrote so many letters home and journals, and now generation upon generation receive the benefit.

I'm no Hudson Taylor, but what if? What if people read about our lives and like in Psalm 40, they "see and hear and fear the Lord" because of what we have written? (And by "fear" I mean "stand if awe of.")

Do you journal?

6 comments:

Raquel said...

i have always wanted to keep a journal, and i have started once or twice, but i could never continue. i am planning on trying again next year!

Anonymous said...

Ever read Rachel Scott's journal? She was the first at Columbine to be killed for her faith in Christ. Her parents have since published her original writings and drawings. I find her testimony (while on earth and while in Heaven) to be so amazing!

Yes, I keep a journal. I really only started since this past summer. In Mexico, we were highly encouraged to journal in our devotion books each day. And I am so glad! I have gone back several times to reread what I was feeling and learning during that time. It's so encouraging to recount the blessings of God in your own life, even!

Thanks for having me the other night! :]

dlyn said...

Hi - I followed your link over from PW. You have an awesome blog and I will definitely be back to check it out further.

to answer your question - I don't keep a journal anymore, though I did faithfully for years. I stopped for lack of time when my kids got in school and I went to work part time [a long time ago]. Now I blog, but it is not really a journal. I am not sure I would want people reading my journals after I am gone...

Mrs said...

Welcome, Dlyn! Thanks for stopping by! I just love PW, and she sure makes me appreciate living in Florida in the winter!

Good point on wanting anyone to read the journal. I honestly try to keep that in mind and share my feelings while minding my P's and Q's. It's been a terrific growth chart for me . . . amazing how far Himself and I have come!

Phyllis said...

I'm reading your blog from Julie's computer in Moscow! :-)

I blog more than I journal, but I've been thinking about what Christian heroes left in writing, too, because I just got to reread one of my favorites, A Chance to Die. Have you read it?

Mrs said...

I have not read it, but will definitely check into it!

Please give our love to Julie!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker