Thursday, October 30, 2008

Food Report

I'll get to the chow in a minute. Here's a couple of words I've had to type this morning while commenting on other blogs:

guestert - I'm guessing this is a guest who brings dessert. Or maybe it's the dessert a guest brings?

merple - proof that there IS a word that rhymes with purple!

We've had four meals from Dinner A'Fare so far.

Horseradish Encrusted Cheddar Beef Burgers: The family loved these. I didn't get to eat them because of the cheddar, but there were yums all around.

Pretzel Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Cream Sauce: The pork cooked beautifully and the sauce was amazing. The kids were finding anything they could (bread, veggies) to scoop up the sauce.

As with any new endeavor, there's a learning curve. This is the first meal I assembled and JoAnne hadn't told me that I need to mush the ingredients around in the bag to mix them before I wrap them up. When I added the ingredients to the bag with the pork loin, I didn't mix it up well. Since flour was one of the ingredients, this resulted in part of the pork loin having a clump of flour. Next time I'll know to distribute the flour evenly and shake the bag before sealing or adding other ingredients so it will coat without clumps.

Cheese Ravioli with Parmesan Pesto: I should have known better - follow the instructions! I didn't really need to heat the parmesan pesto sauce, but I did, and the result was a gooey, stringy mess when the parmesan melted. Seriously! I had to wait for it to cool and un-melt before I could serve it with the ravioli. I'm laughing because I just now read the instructions thoroughly and I was supposed to mix the sauce with the ravioli and not serve it on the side.

The family liked this one, too. Three and a half raviolis and they were full, so there were plenty left for lunches. Could probably have company with this one without worrying if there would be enough. This was their first experience with pine nuts - many thought they were beans. Hah!

Beef Vegetable Stir Fry: Easiest by far, this one was extremely tasty. I love that the meat was already thinly cut into perfect sizes! In fact, I haven't had to touch raw meat yet (and we all know how much I love to deal with raw chicken! Shudder). This took maybe ten minutes to prepare in a skillet, so I started the rice ahead of time. Perfect meal for AWANA when Glenna and I need to get out the door with dinner already eaten, or else we'll be forced to wait until we get home.

Tonight, Jambalaya!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm jambalaya.
Are we allowed to eat that?

Mrs said...

Yes, but not the sausage. :-) Or the onions (they made it with salsa and there were onions in that, but I ate it anyway). I didn't eat the sausage.

Anonymous said...

Man and all I had was mac and cheese last night. GET US ON THIS PLAN! Hehheeheeee

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker