Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oh Lolly Lolly

While Glenna and I were working at the Christian School convention a few weeks ago, Glenna was given a lollipop.

This may seem like no big deal, but lollipops are the last things I give my kids! I can't stand the thought of their teeth bathing in sugar for the hours it takes to eat it. I can't stand the thought of them breaking their tooth on one if they try to eat it quickly by crunching it. I'd much rather give them a piece of candy that dissolves quickly, like chocolate or something chewy, instead of a lollipop.

My own teeth are a sad testimony to the lollipops I've consumed. I have had a million cavities, and four of my teeth have crowns on them. Granted; most of the damage done to my mouth was by landing on my chin while trying to ride a moped in Jr. High. (Did I ever apologize for that, Mom?) I sat up, spit out chunks of my teeth, and got one of my friends to call my mother while I covered my split chin with my hand.

Note to all the kids out there: Learn the names of streets. Don't call your mom with a split chin and broken teeth and tell her something like, "I don't know! Just go two stop lights past the Alpha-Beta, turn left, then go two more stop signs and turn left again!"

Let's just say the dentists were always happy to see me coming. And let's also say that I was rarely without some kind of candy, especially hard candy, in my mouth.

Glenna reluctantly showed me the lollipop at the convention. She knew my arguments full well and knew she'd be hearing them again, along with the physical demonstration of the fillings in my mouth, blah blah blah. I looked into her eyes and realized, The poor kid -- all she wants is a lollipop!

We decided to make a compromise. She would eat the lollipop until I couldn't stand it anymore, then she would throw it away.

We had a great discussion on lollipops and sin, though! Even when we know something's bad for us, even when we know it will harm us and even do permanent damage, sometimes we just. Want. It. Strong wills and the help of God are all that keep us from self-destruction.

When I had her throw the remaining 3/4 of the lollipop away, I also sent her to the bathroom to brush her teeth. She came back with an amazed look on her face; the sugar from the lollipop had actually stained her toothbrush pink! And this with toothpaste! She couldn't imagine what it was doing to her teeth and declared she didn't care if she had another lollipop.

A few moments later, the amendment came:

Maybe I just need to stick to smaller lollipops, like the ones they give out at the bank.

Maybe so, Glenna. Maybe so.

No comments:

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker