Saturday, February 07, 2009

The Devolution of a Floor


devolution
1545, from de- + (e)volution. Used in various legal and fig. senses; in biology, as the opposite of evolution, it is attested from 1882.

Florida Builder, 1962 - Let's put in that new flooring called terrazzo. Supposed to be able to withstand heavy traffic and last forever!

Homeowner, 1972 - Let's cover up this boring terrazzo. Linoleum is cheap and easy!

Homeowner, 2002 - We've got to try to sell this house. We can't possibly sell it with Mom's old linoleum! Let's cover it with linoleum tiles and carpet.

Homeowner, 2009 - This carpet is too nasty, and the cheaper linoleum tiles have lost their surface. Let's take the floors back to the beautiful terrazzo! We can polish it up and make it shine again!


Thus begins the renovation. Already, without the carpet and "tile" determining the shrunken size of our dining room, we have so much more room and the house looks more open!


All of these pictures are blurry. No one knows why.

Himself, lifting off the linoleum tiles in the dining area. The carpet was cut up and removed. I could not believe the amount of dirt under that carpet. I must have swept up five pounds of silt. It felt so good to know we weren't living with that dirt anymore.




Lifting up the "tiles" in the kitchen reveals the ancient sheet linoleum. The funny thing is, the woman who originally owned this house still goes to my church! She had sold it to her daughter and son-in-law, and they put the "tiles" over the linoleum. Pat (original owner) swears the linoleum wasn't yellow when she picked it out. It may have not been yellow, but it was definitely 70's!


These two are of me, chipping off the tiles with a 5-in-1 and a hammer. Worked for me! Again, there was so much dirt and filth trapped under these tiles. I bleached and bleached it after I got the tiles off.
My family fondly refers to this as "squatting like an Aborigine." I've noticed each of my children do it, too.



Our schnauzer reacts to all the hub-bub and his changing world:
Jack would bring me toys, balls, anything he could find, and throw it into the middle of whatever I was doing. Are you sure you wouldn't rather play? Want to stop that right now? Please?



Once the terrazzo is polish and restored, it will look more like this and not yellow. We can't wait. I will then put an area rug in the living room.
I'm so glad terrazzo is back in style. I'm especially glad I didn't have to pay for mine!

3 comments:

katie said...

hi! Cool floor!

Thanks for the comments about budget friendly cooking. I know of a place in my area to try! I think the Mr. will also appreciate the idea too because we often are so busy it is difficult to cook healthy meals.

I hope you will come back and read again.

have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love the "new" flooring and set-up!

Not so sure what to say about the nacho cheese and beans school room. ;) But really, it wasn't so bad from the roof....

Mrs said...

Hah, Jess! And I suppose it won't look like that from the INSIDE, either.

Were you on the roof AGAIN?

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker