Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mornin'

A loud and cheerful greeting early in the morning
will be taken as a curse! - Proverbs 27:14



My mother used to vacuum the house at 7 in the morning.


SATURDAY morning.

SEVEN.


As a teen, this was the worst form of torture she could ever inflict. At the time, I was going to cosmetology school from 7:30 am to 4 pm, would come home and change uniforms, then go to work at Arby's until 10:30 or 11:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Since I basically had my "second wind" by 10 pm and was pumped full of caffeine, I had a terrible time getting to sleep at night. 3 am, 2am, I would be reading a book or just staring at the ceiling. Blinking. When I finally did fall asleep, morning came too quickly.

I sometimes worked on the weekends, but I didn't have to go to school on Saturday! This was my morning to sleep. Glorious, wonderful, sleep!

Mom got up at the crack of dawn every weekday morning. She was awake at 5, out the door before sunrise, and came home around 4 pm. To her, 7 o'clock was sleeping in! Why, 7 am was the perfect time to vacuum the house!


Fast forward to 2009.

Ty has classes on Mondays and Wednesdays that start at 7 am. The rest of the week, he has to be at work downtown by 8 am. Saturday is the only day he has to sleep a little, since on Sundays he's at the church before 8 to practice music for the Sunday service. He likes to stay up a little later on Friday nights and watch a movie, because he knows he gets to sleep. Glorious, wonderful, sleep!

Imagine my horror when Himself gets up on the roof this morning and starts pounding and hammering and knocking off some of the rotted wood, all before 9 am.

Not only is it too early in the morning, it's too early, period! Our roof is scheduled for repair on March 11-14 according to the church calendar. Himself is two weeks early on this.

The first outraged child down the stairs was Glenna. Of course, all anger is spewed at me, the mom.

What on earth is going on?

Don't you yell at me, Miss! I'm not the one on the roof!


Tyler did have to have a haircut at 10 this morning. While Himself was still trying to defend his choice of chores and the hour, Ty stumbled down the stairs.

I get up at the crack of dawn every stinkin' day except Saturday, my only day to sleep a little, and someone's pounding outside my window . . . .

I feel for you hon. I feel for you.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

My neighbor, until recently, hired lawn guys to do her yard. They came on Thursday mornings at 7:30.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker