Saturday, April 11, 2009

And Honorable Mention goes to . . .

. . . Barzillai!


When I continued reading in 2 Samuel, Barzillai's name appeared again. With it went any remaining excuses I may have had.


King David has defeated the enemy and is now going back to Jerusalem. Accompanying him is Barzillai, who wanted to "see him off" at the Jordan. King David invites him to come to Jerusalem with him, so that he could provide for Barzillai in the same way that he met David's needs.

This is the part where we find out Barzillai is eighty years old.

I'm officially encouraged.

A wealthy man, Barzillai provided for the king during his time in the desert, then saw him off as any good host would do.

I also love that Barzillai refused any reward the king was offering. He was an old man, had lived a full life, and he insisted the reward would be wasted on such as he. Instead, he suggests another name on which the king may lavish his gratitude: Chimham.

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday. I know there will be hundreds of blogs writing about this blessed and awesome day. My time has been fully consumed with the yard sale (which went well! Praise the Lord!) so I haven't even been able to prepare my heart for tomorrow's celebration. Just know that it's full and overflowing with God's love and sacrificial gift, all to make me His child!

He is risen.

I can barely contain it!

He is RISEN!!!

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

He is risen indeed! :-)

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker