Monday, September 11, 2006

Home

Took me forever to figure out how to make a new blog. This is crazy. I must be missing something.

I'm fighting a migraine today (dull but painful ache right now) and weird things go through my mind when that happens. For one thing, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the lady who sang in The Sound of Music. I keep wanting to say Sandy Duncan, but I know that's not it. It's not Florence Henderson either.

The Women's Retreat was wonderful. I don't like going to retreats (takes weeks to catch up on sleep) but as a discipline, I make myself go. I KNOW God has something for me there and I would hate to miss it.

Julie Andrews. Her name was Julie Andrews, right?

Anyway, I'm home, or as much as one can call it home. It's home because the ones I love the most live here!

I was "home" in June, though, when the girls and I flew to New Mexico. I've never actually lived in New Mexico, but my family is from there (only by next older brother and I were born in CA, everyone else was NM) and it will always be home to me.

My Glenna was given a pair of Durango boots for Christmas, and when we got to Mom's ranch she was presented with a pair of spurs. She immediately took them off and wore them the entire time we were at the ranch. In Glenwood, this is not an uncommon sight! When we drove over to the ranch of our life-long friends, John and Cathy Murphy, John said the most hysterical thing when he noticed Glenna's spurs: "So, Glenna. Have you been topping off the rough string this morning?" :-D I laughed so hard!

When we got back to Florida, I repeated this hilarious account to my friends.

No one got it.

No one knew what a rough string was, much less how to "top off" one.

At that moment, I felt I had come so far from home. I was so homesick!

Back in New Mexico, I was surrounded by family, friends, and the culture of my youth. Here, I am surrounded by beloved friends alone.

I don't want to leave Florida, but I DO, just a little bit, want to go back to my roots and the "suit" that fits me best.

Yes, I'm going country.

2 comments:

Allie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allie said...

oops - typo. Let's try it again.

Glad to have found your blog - sorry for the homesickness. I'm sure it must be hard being so far from family and growing-up places. But we are glad you're here!

I have heard of and have tried some of the baby-inducing ideas (though not all of them). So far, baby wants to take its own sweet time. :)

Jeremy does enjoy playing - and he's teaching two lessons a week now (Timothy and Haylee) and he loves doing that. Wish he could do it full time....

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker