Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Beauty Right Here

Himself is in Lost Wages, NV. He'll be home Friday.

I'm so glad one of us got to go to the desert! I told him to breathe in the air and bring me a rock. A real rock, one picked up off the ground. Imagine that!

Tuesday at History co-op, CP brought out a chart showing the different plants the Navajo use to dye their wool. I could have looked at that chart for hours! Here were the plants I knew - pinon, goldenrod, sage, Indian paintbrush, mesquite, bluebonnet . .. . I looked at that picture and could practically smell each one.

This afternoon, I walked into the school room and found a small white vase with flowers in it. I recognized the flowers as the ones we have around our yard. It looked so pretty! Next to the vase was a note card that read:

Here Mom! I know you must be missing the beauty of the desert, so here's some beauty from right where we are! -- Love, Kelly

I can't tell you how much this touched my heart. What a thoughtful gesture.

I do long for the desert, but Kelly's right; I need to look at the beauty from right where I am! God has placed us here. There is beauty here, if I'm willing to look for it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I just love walking through my backyard jungle.:-) There are so many different flowers and plants! We may not have mountains, but we still have so much beauty right in our yards!

Bagel Two said...

J, I know exactly what you mean. Not that I lived in the desert, exactly, but I really miss the beach, and believe it or not, the smell of the air when we were experiencing Santa Anna/Santana. Do you remember? I know you do. The best thing about Ohio, though, is the fall (all five minutes of it). The colored leaves, the rainy wind, the clouds like a traffic jam in the sky...wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a sweet note! I do so like that Kelly Irene! :D
I think we should go on a beauty expedition around the state. I'll bring my new camera along, and we'll document all things lovely!

P.S. I know of a most spectacular park!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. After seeing all the beauty of the southwest and northwest these last 2 years, it was hard to come back to flat Florida. We decided we had to immediately go to the beach to appreciate the beauty there is here. And it was wonderful!

Also, while I loved it out west, there's nothing like the friends I had to come back home to. It would take quite a lot to make me give that up :-)

Phyllis said...

Lovely! :-) What a sweet girl, and what a sweet note!

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

One of the most beautiful of all beauties is the heart of your Kelly.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker