Wednesday, November 07, 2007

It Finally Happened to Us

Maybe this is the wrong view to take on life, but when a crime finally happens to you personally, are you really that surprised?

I worked a book fair for some friends of ours while they were out of state. We had trouble with our vehicles, so they offered me the use of their van while they were gone.

Yesterday, that van was stolen from our driveway.

Apparently, someone wanted to steal some 22" tires from another place. They needed a van to load the stolen tires. They saw the van in our driveway, took it, drove to where the tires were, dumped out all the book fair merchandise, stole the tires off the other vehicle, then drove away.

So, all the merchandise has been recovered, but the van is still missing.

I can't tell you how it feels to have someone steal something from your front yard while you're inside your home, oblivious.

Blaze, in her glory days, would never have allowed this. I don't blame Jack - his room is upstairs in the far corner.

A van!!! Stolen!!! Has this ever happened to any of you?

5 comments:

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Nooooo!!!!! My heart is just crying Noooo!!!!!!

A couple of years ago someone stole my cellphone out of the van, and I felt mad. Then someone broke the window in our car and went through everything and stole CDs and some toll change - not much to take. That time I felt madder and a bit frightened. Both happened while we were home and it scared me to think that I didn't know. I hate the evil that is all around us. I hate it that it makes me feel out of control and powerless. I hate it that it touched your family!!! I want to hate the ones who stole and I am angry with them - but I'm also very sorry for them because I can't imagine what it must be like to live with a head and a heart that resorts to stealing (and maybe worse).

Loving and praying for all of you!!!

Bagel Two said...

Don't remember if I told you or not--

I've had two cars stolen since we moved to Dayton. One was stolen out of the Delphi parking lot when I worked there as a secretary. When I came out of work at five, I wandered around the lot for about fifteen minutes, assuming I wasn't remebering where I parked. The car was eventually recovered, sans engine (and cassette tapes, who knew people wanted my Indigo Girls and Monty Python?)but containing car seat (whew).

More recently (a few years ago), came out of the house on a Saturday morning to go to work, and no car. It was recovered almost immediately, having been crashed into a few things, and left running with the door open on some seedy area of downtown. Joyriders. That month several cars on our street were stolen by joyriders, one of which actually lived on the street.

The most surprising thing is the shocky feeling I had--trembling, cold and weakness--that I would normally associate with violence. I suppose that's a reaction to having one's sense of security violated. More disturbing, one gets used to it. My present car was rammed by a disgruntled visitor to a neighbor's house. My reaction? "Well, at least it's only cosmetic damage."

You have all my sympathy, J. It must make it a hundred times worse that the van wasn't yours. One feels responsible. I hope they find it.

Anonymous said...

Please don't feel like this is your fault, because it isn't. And I am sure the people who own the car don't blame you. You're right, Blaze definitely would have alerted you!:-) But my family and I will be praying for you and the friends, and I hope the van is found soon. At least you have the stuff that was in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. I heard about this incident. Frankly, it is the most unthinkable situation!
(The only thing that I'm currently missing-and not because it's been stolen-is the blanket I sleep with every night. :[ I have been quite distraught, though this story makes mine sound like a drop in the bucket!)

chocolatechic said...

No it hasn't, but my heart goes out to you.

I am so sorry, so very , very, very, sorry.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker