Thursday, January 03, 2008

Meet Maddie

This is Maddie ---Short for Madelyn, AKA The Pony. This photo is the view one usually sees of Maddie, especially if sitting down. Don't be frightened, she's extremely gentle. She just wants to make sure you can see her. See?


Maddie is a Harlequin Great Dane. I want you to note that Kelly is sitting up as tall as she can in this photo, but Maddie still towers over her. Danes like to get up close to your face and peer into your soul. That's what Maddie's doing to Kelly, here.


Maddie says Kelly has a good soul. We knew that. I just love Maddie's one black leg and her pink and black nose! This dog is only a year and a half old.


Maddie has the complete and total run of the house. Here she's howling at The Mom because someone went outside without her. She's telling The Mom how unfair that was and to please get up and let her out. Now.


The funniest thing is to see her climb up into this chair, then fold herself into it and curl up in a ball. Oh no, this chair's not too small for me. I can fit. Honestly!



At Dad's house, there's a total of three large dogs. Sarah Bear is the chow mix you see here with Maddie, and Cody is the yellow lab you see on the couch. Did I mention the dogs rule the house? Want further proof?



When anyone is in the kitchen, the dogs are there. Note Maddie's head is counter height. To keep her from eating food off the counter, they hide it in the microwave. There are two microwaves for some reason; I guess one is for cooking and one is for hiding food?


Mealtimes are spent defending our plates from the dogs. They're right at the elbow, sticking their noses into plates left unguarded. Tyler couldn't stop laughing at how "normal" this was to everyone but us, and then we eventually adapted as well. I made lasagna one night and spent the time shoving the lab away with one foot and shoving Maddie away with my elbow. By the second meal I prepared, they realized I wasn't going to feed them anything. Dad and The Mom were so amazed to see all three dogs not in the kitchen while I was cooking.




Maddie's other favorite thing to do is put her paws on the chair or couch and tower over the occupant. Dad and The Mom seem to be the only ones who don't mind this. They just scratch her and tell her how wonderful she is. I make her get off immediately and THEN tell her how wonderful she is. Let's face it -- she is wonderful!



To my kids, watching a dog get on the couch is the funniest thing, because they've never seen it! We've always treated dogs like dogs; no people food, and they belong on the floor. Jack is permitted on Kelly's bed only, and even now she's trying to find ways to keep him off.


With three dogs, life was never a dull moment. Still, I was thankful to get home to my miniature schnauzer!

4 comments:

Bagel Two said...

I think they are the most beautiful dogs. I miss the total immersion friendliness of dogs. I don't miss dog hair, though.

BOSSY said...

Bossy knows the scene well - especially the part where the Dane yells at her human. Bossy's Dane has lots to say and a very narrow road of Acceptable Human Behavior. (Gorgeous dogs, sweet post.)

dlyn said...

I love Danes, but that is a bigger commitment to dogdom than I can handle. A 50 lb dog is enough for me and I talked to plenty by that one!

Be Inspired Always said...

Beautiful dog. I have always wanted a Great Dane. They look so sweet natured.


Jillian

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker