Friday, September 04, 2009

The Dance of the Shopping Cart

All I wanted was some soy sauce.


Why in the world was the ethnic aisle suddenly the most popular aisle in the store? It wasn't even the entire aisle, it was just the Mexican/Asian section that was crammed with 5 shopping carts.

One dear elderly gentleman was trying to get out of the way, so he carefully lifted his cart and placed it to the side - right in front of the soy sauce. His elderly wife was trying to make up her mind on which teriyaki to purchase, and mister, she was taking her sweet time. I was content to wait it out, but now I had two more carts trying to enter the aisle behind me.

Don't you people have other aisles to peruse?

I decided to do a duck-and-grab for the soy sauce and get out of there. I successfully turned my cart around and was immediately boxed in. In the exact middle of this was the sweetie with the sauce.

Remember those little sliding tile games from birthday parties and gumball machines? The ones with one empty space, and you must slide the tiles in combination until they're lined up numerically?

"Ok, you move your cart there, and you slide your cart there. I'll slide over here, and you'll have to slide over to the right." It was almost a dance, but we were all clumsy as partners. Oblivious to the drama around her, Elderly Wife finally looked up from her teriyaki scrutiny and held up two choices to her husband.

"Which one? Is this the one you didn't like? I don't want to buy the wrong one again."

Elderly Husband was in a near panic at the clog they were creating. Fortunately, all were in good spirits and smiling as we slid, stepped, and slid our way around her.

Rock on, Sauce Sister. When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

No comments:

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker