Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Scarlet Letter(S!!!)

I want to be well read. I do. I want my girls to be well read, too. (I think Tyler gave up reading when he picked up his drum sticks.)

So far this 2007, I've read Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Diary of Anne Frank. I read them for content before I pass them on to Kelly, and Glenna gets such classics as Carry On Mr. Bowditch, Farmer Boy, The Bronze Bow, and Strawberry Girl.

I'm about 20 pages into The Scarlet Letter and I've realized something; the man is babbling.

I kid you not!

He rambled on for at least three paragraphs about his friend's fond rememberances of delicious dinners. Three paragraphs! I have learned from past experience that just because something is labeled a classic in literature, I can't just hand it over to my daughter to read. I read through them, put little sticky tabs on the places she should avoid (and she does -- she trusts me), or I tell her to skip the book all together. But this book -- this book is driving me crazy with all the babbling! Yet, every reading list recommends it for high school.

It's not making my job easy.

1 comment:

ThriveYouth said...

umm

somehow i skipped out of that one. =p
i actually had it, but then never read but a page or two of it.

Farmer Boy!
I do so love that book!!
And the Bronze Bow...and all of those!
It is one of my dreams to have a large library! Sigh.
I love the smell of old books.

It's going to be difficult for me not to be a hermit during Mexico free times. I could just sit and read and completely forget that I'm with a bunch of other people. (For that reason, I'm only taking a few books along.)

Praying for VBS this week!!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker