Friday, June 22, 2007

Sample Pictures File and Home Schooling

Something tells me this surfer is in the Pacific. The two clues are:


1. He's wearing a wetsuit because the Pacific is COLD.
2. The wave is big enough to ride the curl. Atlantic waves are so small.


I found this by browsing through the sample pictures on my computer while looking for a certain picture to post (one I still haven't found, I might add). I think I'm missing California today, or rather missing that one carefree summer I had before marriage and moving to the desert. I'll bet a lot of people have this same photo in their sample pictures!


BA came over last night to go over our home school calendar for next year. I think she left completely overwhelmed, and she said repeatedly, "I feel so stupid." Ack! Not my intention! She forgets I've been doing this for 9 years, so I can "see" where things are going more easily. I can also relax, because I know learning will happen. I was convicted to home school, and I have seen that I can trust God with the education of my children when I am in obedience to His will. They have thrived and learned in spite of all my clumsy efforts, migraine days, and "let's ditch and head to the zoo" days.


Our first year of home school was the worst. At the end of the year, one of my kids was evaluated to be in the same place as when we started. To say I was discouraged is an understatement! I struggled and struggled with this child, read the experiences of other HS moms, then decided readiness was the issue. We backed off, read books together, did crafty-type things, and explored the world around us. The next year, this child was ready and everything began to click. The evaluation revealed a leap of two grades to land exactly in the right grade level! I learned so much from this experience, such as home school works to allow children to learn at their own pace, AND God is in control. I love when God is in control. Or, should I say, I love when I remember that God is in control!



Of course, home schooling does this to you:

Note the exhausted sag to the shoulders, the untidy kitchen, the upward roll of the left eye, the "I am not amused that you're taking my picture" glare I'm giving my hubby. Yes, this is what Himself comes home to.


Our children are worth it.








No comments:

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker