Friday, September 21, 2007

The Full Retreat Blog

I thought about having Green Monkey's experience be all I have to say about retreat, but I decided to give more details. Mainly, I wanted to post lots of people pictures so my friend Becky B in MT (hey!) could look at each photo for familiar faces. You were missed, Becky!




The first and most interesting part of retreat is the drive to get there. My friend Janet was kind enough to pick me up, but she made me promise not to take pictures of her hair. I semi-succeeded.





Her daughter, Erin, and I are appropriately giddy. We know what's coming! We know that we get to make our own decisions for the next few days! We know there will be tons of snacks, great teaching, music, side-splitting laughter, and no responsibilities.





I spent most of my retreat missing my family and wishing they were with me. I was so excited to go, NOT because I wanted to "get away" from my family, but because I know what a blessing a retreat is and I come home even more eager to serve my family. Hence, the reason THEY are so glad to see me go!




Leah has never been on a retreat that I know of. See her expression? She doesn't know what's coming.

Erin does. Oh yeah. Erin does.





At last we arrive in Daytona Beach! You know, I have been here almost 10 years, and I've never been to Daytona? I've been to other beaches, but Daytona has the whole Biker reputation that I wanted to avoid.






This is the Daytona Speedway. AKA the Redneck Mecca.




And this is Daytona Beach Traffic. Did we let this and messed-up Google map directions spoil our enthusiasm? Not one bit!





At last we arrive to our destination. Whoa! What's with the color??? It didn't look like that on the web page! No one told me the hot air balloons on the side were outlined in neon, either!



I mean, what IS that? Pistachio ice cream? Guacamole? Lime sherbet?





At the front desk, we already found fellow retreat goers waiting to check in. Nancy's green shirt is MUCH nicer than the green on the lobby walls. I have to remember that Florida is indeed the place these colors came from.



I waited for the sloooowwww elevator, hitched a ride up to my 6th floor room, threw open the curtains, and found this:






And this:
Can you see this green color? I just can't explain it. I don't know if I've ever seen it on a color chart, and I'm a painter's wife!


And because I'm a painter's wife, I took one up close of the stucco.

This one's for you, honey. Sorry I didn't take a picture of failing paint, but I figured this would do. You probably need to go down and sell them some paint anyway because of that whole color issue.




We were on our own for dinner, so we ended up at Ruby Tuesday's. I'd never eaten there before! The salad bar was spectacular (different kinds of lettuce offered, even). The mini-sandwiches were cute. Here, Janet's about to nail me with her fork for taking her picture again.




Aren't you just dying to know what Erin's thinking? I think she's trying to figure out exactly what her food tastes like.




More mothers and daughters! LSM and her daughter, Rachel. More on Rachel later.



We can walk right down to the beach from our hotel. That's Sheila, displaying the steps. And the green. And the orange doors.




Before dinner, I quickly put on shorts and had gone down to the beach for a little to see BA and a few others. Our rooms were joined, so when we got back to the room BA jumped in the shower while I changed back into my slacks. She came out dressed like this:





She was kind enough to change.





The first place to head to is the all important snack table! Everyone brings a snack to share. I usually bring pita chips and hummus. Go ahead, laugh! I never have to bring any home, because it's gone! I actually did pretty well this retreat. I stayed away from the sugary stuff and stuck to fruits and crackers.




In order for us to get a good price for retreat, we rented one of the smaller meeting rooms. The tables all fit, but it was a close fit. It wasn't easy to maneuver between the tables, though it wasn't impossible.




The first session always starts off with a skit. This is where Trish and Debbie shine! Hee hee.




Our retreat speaker this year was our very own Bonnie L. (turquoise shirt). I've had Bible studies with her for the last two years. She's one of my favorite teachers. Trivia: how many missionaries or MKs (missionary kid) can you spot in this photo? (answer below)*





Rachel had been in a car accident and broke BOTH feet. She is able to put weight on one foot, but she uses this little wheel mobile to get around. It's the cutest thing! She puts her knee on the pad, then uses the other leg to propel around the room. Over lunch she discussed plans to "Pimp My Wheel Mobile" with spinner rims, vanity plates, and possibly an oooga horn. LOVE the red cast!




Megan and Hannah! We were so happy to see some young ladies join us. Lots of Mothers and Daughters came together. Two more years and my girl will be with me!




Here are two sets of mothers and daughters. The one in yellow is the wife of our youth pastor.




I don't know why I didn't catch on to the whole "sit on the couch during the session" thing. I guess I feel a need for a table while I scribble notes. AND to hold my snacks. Right gals?




This was my roommate. Yes, she's that cool. She put her sunglasses on right away the minute she saw paparazzi (or in this case, mamarazzi).




On the right is our pastor's wife, saying goodbye to the Queen. Did I mention the Queen is moving to Arkansas? I don't mind so much, since my Dad just moved to Arkansas as well. I'm told the Queen's new palace is not that far from Dad's double-wide trailer.




The Queen also shared part of her testimony. I hope when I'm in my 80's, I'll be as well read and well lived as the Queen! Long live the Queen!




These were what the crafts were supposed to look like. The one Green Monkey made for Glenna had crooked corners, spit, and paste. Janet B probably never uses spit, paste, nor a Green Monkey. That's probably why hers look so fabulous.




Here's Megan's Mom and the Speaker. Again, how many missionaries can you spot in THIS photo?*





These teens were not, I repeat, NOT, spitting or throwing things over the balcony. Our teens are great like that.





*Answers: In both photos, the technical answer is three (per photo), but according to our Speaker, all of them are! We're all to share the hope that is in us with everyone, not just the ones who go overseas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! I'm glad we got to see your take on the weekend as well as Green Monkey's. :]

I vote pistachio green. And maybe this is because I didn't have to live with it for a weekend, but at least from the pictures, I don't hate the color

I can't believe you took hummus and pita chips! I eat hummus and pita for lunch almost every day! A bunch of us kids went to Pita Pit a while back; everyone got these loaded pitas. I just got hummus. And yes, everyone laughed at me!

Megan Marie said...

These pictures were great! thanks for putting them on!
Yes, I know hannah and I wouldn't have been able to sit on the couch, with all our snacks! haha!!
Oh yah, we are good girls, we wouldn't throw things off the balcony....haha!! ;) we didn't....promise!! =)

Phyllis said...

I enjoyed looking for familiar faces, too!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker