Friday, May 30, 2008

For Mr. & Mrs. R and Their Daughter in the Ukraine

We love flowers and butterflies. Mr. & Mrs. R. and their daughter in the Ukraine, however, make flowers and butterflies come alive. Literally! Mr. R has hatched many a chrysalis. Mrs. R has a beautiful butterfly garden in the back yard (I guess it's Mr. R's, too) and their daughter in the Ukraine sees beauty wherever she looks.

I love gardening, but I'm unable to garden. I've decided to limit my grandiose plans to one small bucket. Between Glenna and I, we're managing to keep it alive. (See honey, I told you that red bucket would be used for something some day. I just didn't know what when I bought it six years ago.)


Here's our butterfly garden! When we were touring the nursery the other day, they had these Mother's Day baskets with butterfly plants. I was thinking I needed half the back yard for a functional butterfly garden, but the attendant assured me that their wee baskets were indeed enough.


I was trying to describe our plants to Mrs. R, but the only names we could remember were the Mexican Sunflower and the Milkweed.



Mrs. R said any plant with the name "Mexican" in it would become invasive. I'm glad we've limited this one to a bucket. Still, she knows our Kelly. Mrs. R, do you honestly think Kelly could have resisted that color, or those palm-sized blooms?



These two photos are of the milkweed. I just love these colors together. I want my entire house to be variations of these colors together!



This is the purple stuff. Some people know all the names for plants and flowers. I know quite a few, but then I resort to names like "That purple stuff."


Here's the Red Stuff. See above explanation. All I know is that it's butterfly friendly. And it's Red. Stuff.

Same plant, showing off the blooms. This poor thing may need to be staked. Half of it broke off in a recent wind.


I was also given carnations by a student and put it in the bucket. Do you think this is keeping the butterflies away? I'm so excited that we're keeping these alive. In fact, the only dead thing in this photo is the purple car in the background.


Sorry, Ty. We'll deal with it when you're back from Mexico!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great use of the red pot...

The "red stuff" is commonly called scarlet sage; I do believe it is considered a Florida native, and it easily reseeds. Sulphur butterflies especially seem very attracted to it. The "blue stuff" looks like what is generally called blue sage, another excellent choice for your butterfly garden, although perhaps not quite as tolerant of FL as the red sage.

Now someone just needs to tell the butterflies about the feast you have provided.

Phyllis said...

Beautiful! (I'm just seeing this now.) Mom, is the blue sage the same as Russian sage?

Did this butterfly garden provide the new flower at the top of your blog, Mrs? Thank you for sharing the beauty!

Mrs said...

Yes, it's from the garden. Glenna took the photo. I asked her if she carefully lined up the flower and the sun, and she said, "No, I just held the camera under the flower and took it." :-/

Nice!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker