Thursday, May 15, 2008

Some Things Never Change

Yesterday, Himself and I went to IKEA to return something. While I was in the restroom, I had a phone call from my daughter. I sent a text stating I was unavailable and she texted that I needed to call her as soon as possible.

These are not words a Mom wants to hear while she's in the restroom at IKEA!

As soon as I could, I called. I couldn't make heads nor tails of her jumbled, breathless words.

"What? Say that again?"

"I said, there's tons of police and a S.W.A.T. team at the house across the street, along with some fire trucks."

These are not words a Mom wants to hear as she has exited the restroom at IKEA!

"Just stay in the house! Where's your brother?"

Fortunately, the band was practicing at our house yesterday. They had seen the whole thing (including police setting up a perimeter defense with machine guns) and made sure the girls were safely inside. When the situation was under control, they went to lunch.

When we lived in California, it was not unusual to have police helicopters searching our neighborhood all hours of the night. I was once switching laundry in my garage when about six police cars pulled up. I had no sooner mumbled, "What's going on?" when a police officer, through my open garage doors, spotted the fugitive trying to escape through my back yard. Hand on his gun he charged through my garage yelling, "Get down! Police!" I ran into the house and huddled next to the fridge, covering my children. I could hear Blaze barking and charging the intruder, which made him quickly exit our yard to the one next door. (They caught the guy in the garage next door, thankfully.)

There's a scripture verse that reads something like, "I will rest my head, for You alone make me dwell in safety."

I'm going to have to look that verse up again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenna called me and gave me the entire story after she had called you! sounds scary! especially since you weren't there.

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

EEEEEK!!! What in the world was going on there?

Makes you realize that what goes on inside the other houses in our neighborhoods isn't quite the same as what goes on inside ours, doesn't it?

Glad everyone was safe!

Bagel Two said...

I'm glad everyone is safe, too. That is a really scary feeling, knowing the police are needing to come to your neighborhood--especially with guns! They are on my street at least once a month. One of my neighbors has been in jail, and they came to get him the other day because he missed his court date. Also, they brought back Griffin when he ran away. Talk about scary.

Anonymous said...

Have you found out what was going on? Wow, that is scary. You never do kow what is happening in the homes around you. In our old neighborhood in FL, the police came and cracked down on a Meth house!!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker