Saturday, May 31, 2008

Mexico Departure, Part I

It's a good thing that one of the W mottoes was in play yesterday. The first W motto is, "Are you going to eat that?" We beamed with pride when our son, unprompted, stated this motto at age 3.

The second W motto is, "If you're not ten minutes early, you're late." We are so amazed when people actually plan on being late. I directed a wedding a few years ago and the bride, on the night of the rehearsal, informed me, "We're probably going to be late tomorrow." I was baffled! She was actually planning ahead of time to be late (and she was). Why could she not plan to be early?

Yesterday, there were two events happening simultaneously at the church. The Mexico Team was departing for their two week adventure, and the Mothers and Daughters were having a sleepover event. It made for one crowded canopy, but there were many to see the Team off, pray for them, and encourage them.

Since we were exercising the second W motto before we left the house, a potential tragedy was actually more comical than despairing. We were loading up the Escape with Ty's things and our (the girls') things. The last one out of the house shut the door.

Himself looked at me and asked, "Do you have the keys?"

Why on earth would I have the keys? Not only was I not driving, I was juggling an overnight bag, a spinach salad, a pasta salad, and my emotions.

There's one window in our home that wasn't properly latched. (But it's latched now. Do you hear that, thieves?) Unfortunately, it's on the second floor. Fortunately, we've been housing the extension ladder for one Nancy B. these past four years. Also fortunately, it made a great photo opportunity.






I bring you these photos at great risk to my personal health. Here, my firstborn son is pelting me with pennies from his pocket while snarling, "Stop taking my picture!" I have decided that I'm the mom, he is my firstborn, and I'll take his picture if I want to, thank you very much!



Himself tossed him up a prying tool. Didn't quite make it on the first try. No problem.


This, my friends, is why we practice W motto #2. When you plan on being on time, you must leave room for things to go wrong. We arrived at the church exactly on time.

It probably helps that we live less than a mile away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you keep things so exciting. =) And although you did not have the keys, the camera was certainly handy....hmmmm.

Mrs said...

The camera was evidently one of the things I was shuffling. ;-)

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker