Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Preparations

In one week, I'll be back in beautiful San Diego. I told my brother that when he picks me up at the airport to search for a blond lady who looks exactly like his mother. I can't wait to get some Taylor time! Hospital or no, I'm going.

Please pray that I stay away from cold and flu germs. If I'm sick, I will have to spend my time isolated from my niece. This would be heartbreaking.

So, what have I been doing to prepare for my trip?

Yesterday, I made:

10 quarts of spaghetti sauce (quickly, you homeschool kids! How many gallons are in 10 quarts?)

10 cups of cooked chicken, bagged and ready

30 meatballs

and 1 Apple Squares dessert. I don't think this last one cooked long enough.

Why all the food?

Payday will be arriving while I'm gone. If Himself doesn't have instant food, our budget will be blown before I can get home! The spaghetti sauce, inspired by BT's mother, Mary, is our "fast food." Whenever we're tempted to order a pizza, we whip out a bag of spaghetti sauce and either have spaghetti or baked pasta with cheese. It takes a while to make the sauce, but it's a real money saver!

That is, it's a money saver if I can keep Himself from eating all the sausage before I bag the sauce. (Quickly, all you homeschool Moms! How many swats with the spoon will keep his hand out of the pot?)

The cooked chicken can be used on salads, pasta salads, enchiladas, and tacos. I usually buy two of the roasted chickens from Costco and when they're cool enough to handle, I pull off all the meat while still hot (you get more that way, and it's easier). This time around Himself was on a job site or something. I was able to get 10 cups of cooked chicken because he wasn't eating half of one.

Have any of you ever driven home with the scent of roasted chicken in your car? And this after dealing with long lines and no sample ladies that day? (Quickly, everyone! How much chicken was consumed by Himself before the car was unloaded?)

Pleasing Himself is so easy. Food and lots of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! lots of food!!! I was already planning what we could eat when Hannah gets home!!! Hey mom, we could have this, and this, and this(all Hannahs favorites of course)!!! I miss her already, and she's only been gone for four days!!!! I hope they are having fun so far!!!!! by the way, who took the picture at the top??? was it Glenna???

Love, Bekah R.

Mrs said...

Sharp eye, Love Bekah R.! Yes, that picture is by Goobie. I asked if she purposely lined it up so the sun would be hidden by the flower; she said, "I just held the camera under the flower and took the picture."

You heard that right; she didn't even AIM.

Bagel Two said...

Sauce sidenote: Mom recently took to Ball-jarring her sauce when she makes a batch. As a matter of scientific inquiry, I left a Ball jar of it on my fridge door area, and designated it an experiment in longevity. It has been a year and five months, and the sauce still has not got any fuzz on it.

We haven't eaten any of that particular jar, mind you.

Mrs said...

Ball-jarring? I simply MUST research this! Thank you for giving me something to do while I'm waiting, BT!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker