Sunday, June 22, 2008

Del Mar Fair

I expected to see many changes when I went back to San Diego. I wasn't expecting them to change the name of the Del Mar Fair, though! It's now called the San Diego County Fair. When Tay was released from the hospital and we all had a day of rest, we decided to go to the fair for Father's Day.


We were greeted at the gate by cheerleaders. Ugly cheerleaders.

When my brother Mark told them they were ugly, they immediately broke into, "U - G- L- Y, you aint got no alibi you ugly, you ugly, your mamma says you ugly!" I guess they had heard that before.



On one of the showcase stages, I saw this trio of teens playing some rock. I took some pictures for Ty and listened for a while. They weren't all bad, but all of their songs were simple three chord progressions and the drummer rarely, if ever, used his toms. As you can see, not many were watching. :-) There were a few behind me in chairs, but very, very few. Reminded me of the old Definite Zero days!


Mark and Taylor decided to hit the rides. Deb and I stayed on the ground, thank you very much. Last time I went on a roller coaster I was heartbroken to discover they now make me sick. I love roller coasters so much! What a disappointment.


We stopped and played a few games. Here, Taylor managed to win their smallest prize (you have to trade up as you win). To our disappointment and the carnie's embarrassment, they handed Taylor a hair scrunchie.

I respectfully asked if they had a small prize that wasn't a hair scrunchie. The woman looked at Tay, realized what she had done, and said, "No, but here, don't worry about it." She gave us a nice little penguin instead. :-)


Mark and Tay on yet another ride. She also went on the wavy slide, but her second time up the steps exhausted her. She was content to be wheeled around after that.

When we went back past the band, they were still playing. I was amazed! The drummer still wasn't using his toms very much.

After the rides and a snack, Taylor was up for looking around at all the things for sale. That's where we found this jewel:


We also stopped to look at some dance studio because Taylor loves to dance. While they were watching the dancers, I was looking at all the San Diegans. How many Chargers jerseys can you spot in this photo? It was wonderful to see Chargers and Padres everywhere!



This couple was too cute not to photograph. I told Mark that he and Deb would look like this in another 30 years. He said it wasn't going to happen.


Don't you just love her beaded hat band and their western shirts? Her ribbons are so colorful!


Lastly, I spotted this guy and asked if I could take his picture. I explained how much my girls loved Roxy clothing, and they would be thrilled to know about the food. He said something like, "Ooookaaaay." Does his smile look nervous to you? Do you think maybe he thought I was trying to find a fella for my girls?

Tomorrow, I'll have pictures of the biggest thrill which happened after the fair!

1 comment:

Bagel Two said...

The U-G-L-Y cheer! Haven't heard nor thought about it in twenty-five years or so! Thanks for the laugh of the day.

I don't think I ever attended the Del Mar Fair, but much nostalgia for the blue and gold.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker