Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dancing with Kate

For all of you who've asked, I've downloaded AVast anti-virus. It was free and recommended by one I highly respect (Don T). I also downloaded it AFTER I had the Angry Monkey pop up on my computer. I used to have McAffee, but it expired and I didn't want to pay for it again. Sadly, I let too much time go by before replacing it. The firewall was still working, but not the virus scan. It's funny, because every month it would suddenly "work" again, so I'd do a quick scan, but that stopped happening.

On to better subjects!

I love our high school youth. I love spending time with them, playing cards with them, and listening to them. I even love camping with them!

Every other Tuesday, a bunch of them go to a facility to play with children waiting to go into foster care. These are children who have been taken from their homes (hopefully for valid reasons and for their protection) and have not yet been placed into foster care or returned to their parents. We go down there and love on them, play with them, and listen to them.

The last time we were supposed to go, the place called and said almost all the children had head lice and ringworm! Our youth pastor rightfully nixed the play time, so we gave them two weeks to "clear up."

Instead, we hung out at the church together and waited for prayer time at 6:00. I hope to show some pictures these next few days of our teens! I wanted to start with one so dear to my heart, Kate the Great.

Kate was dancing in the high school room. There was no music, but that didn't matter! I tried to catch her, but alas, my camera is mostly good for taking pictures of rotting stucco and failing paint applications. (Notice I didn't say failing paint? It's rarely the paint's fault, after all.)



All right, hold it, let me test the camera. . . .


. . . arrrgh! Too slow! Let me try again.



Spots on the camera! I should have wiped the lens.


Believe it or not, she didn't have to hold this forever. I was getting the hang of it.


Lovely . . .


. . . and lovelier!

5 comments:

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Ahhh, a subject so dear to my heart! We have so many amazing young people - I love spending time with them too! I so enjoy watching them interact with each other. They are so positive and supportive!

Monday evening after the Third Lobby concert I was chatting with the mom of the violinist. She complimented our group's warmth and welcoming toward the band.

Anonymous said...

Aw! How did I miss this? I'm sure I was just being my oblivious self.
The second and last pictures are my favorite; they seem to capture the essence of Kate.

I love Kate! She's always so encouraging with her kind smile and warm hugs. :]

Mrs said...

You were in the sanctuary at this point. Don't worry; I have some of those, too.

:-)

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures, Mrs. Welsh! What a wonderful photagrapher you are!:-)

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Kate the Great- MY Kate the Great! You may borrow her when you'd like though...as long as we're not in need of a Kate fix, or even more importantly, AUNT Katie- in which case, we cannot wait. I hope my Caiden grows up to dance without music. (See "without" is a relative term, because knowing her, there WAS music- playing in between her two ears. =)

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker