Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's My Job

From the time my satin-skinned firstborn was placed into my arms, all 9lbs. of him, I was working myself out of a job.

Isn't that the hardest irony of motherhood, to love and nurture them until no longer needed?

For you ladies who have gone before me on letting go, know that I have seen and I have learned from you. Thank you for your journeys. Because of your strengths, I know I'll be all right.

It starts when the toddler voice protests, "I DO IT MYSELF."

Next, he's hanging out with friends and I can head back home after dropping him off. (Only after his friends and their parents have been carefully scoped out, thank-you-very-much!)

Soon he's got that driver's license and I don't even need to be in the car. A job? That's so great! Before I know it, he's purchasing his own socks!

But the most beautiful moments are watching him face a trial and choosing the high ground - the biblical ground - no matter how much it hurts. Even when I so badly want to step in like a momma bear and give this trial the what-for, I know he's right where he belongs in the hands of his Heavenly Father, who teaches and trains him far better than I ever could.

So, what's my job now with this man-child in my house?

Consistency, admiration, admonition, support, encouragement; it's a job I am loving full well.

3 comments:

agable said...

You've done such a fantastic job with all of your children, and I'm not just saying that because I like you ;). They are all fantastic human beings.

Rebekah said...

What a sweet post. I love this, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Amen! Well said! Thanks for the reminder from a mom who's STILL LEARNING to do this with the LAST of my three "children".

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker