Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chrysalis

I guess you could say I'm an accidental horticulturalist. This can be defined as, "I mean well, but everything eventually dies. Once in a while, something comes back and gives life, though."

Last year I had planted a butterfly garden in a bucket. It did fairly well and I even put a caterpillar on it when I found one. Sadly, the sun came out early and cooked him.

The sun and frost eventually killed the entire butterfly garden as well!

I didn't replant, because I noticed the milkweed kept coming back along with an occasional Mexican sunflower. This year, we finally had some success in raising butterflies!


Here's the first one we found:



Glenna found this one, not far from the milkweed. The next day, it was empty! Success!



Sadly, the first one chose a bad spot. This is as far as it got before it cooked in the sun. A close look shows fully developed wings, but nothing ever emerged.


As for my butterfly bucket, it still has milkweed and one lone Mexican Sunflower. Perhaps it will live through the summer?

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Wonderful! We had an Admiral come out yesterday morning, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Another one emerged today, but we were at church. We're assuming it flew out the open window on its own.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker