Sunday, June 07, 2009

Up On the Roof, Part III

Friday evening, the last of the prep work and scraping is finished. The clouds were answer to prayer to block the sun, as was the breeze that came with them.












Bright and early, the roofing materials arrive! Thankfully, they put them on the roof so we didn't have to.




This photo shows some of the wood repair that had to be done. Thanks, Mr. G, Pastor Ron, Matthias and Caleb!











Here's Ty, directing his sister.

This roofing project allowed Himself and me to see how wonderful it is to have a man-child; a son fully grown. His help was invaluable!



Petah! (Said man-child's friend and co-worker) and Scott R.



This part of the roof is the enclosed patio. We were amazed to discover this gorgeous tongue and groove roof! If they had done that on the inside, I would have left it bare.



The younger crowd was helpful in picking up trash and tossing it in the dumpster.




Girls with power tools.




Which guys wouldn't find this attractive? ;-D









David R and his son, Zach. Was that his other son, Jesse, too?



Here's ML, BA's hubby. He put in a LOT of hours for us.




We don't need no stinkin' child labor laws!

The boys enjoyed roofing, but eventually headed off to play football and drink all the Gatorade meant for the workers. ;-)



Here's Pablo (the Preacher's Kid), Don T., and Tim W.










See The Kate up there on the high ground? She's so happy when she's 1. Holding babies and 2. Roofing. Is there any doubt why we love her?




A collage of hammers. I think the yellow one is still unclaimed.






I managed to catch all the conspirators in this shot:

L to R: Peter, Ben, Ty, and Tim (on the ladder).

When the roofing was complete, Ty coaxed me up the ladder once again to inspect the final product. I was so pleased! It came out beautifully! as I balanced on the ladder to look onto the second story, I looked down and there were Pete, Ben and Tim, watching me. I knew something was up when they simultaneously gave me cheesy grins and the "thumbs up" sign.

Ty asked innocently, "Notice anything out of place?"

After inspecting carefully, "No! It all looks beautiful!" I glanced down at the guys again.

Cheesy grins, thumbs up signs.

"Ty, what am I missing here?"

"Nothing, Mom! You'll figure it out."

"I am NOT coming up this ladder again! What is it?"

"You won't need the ladder. You'll figure it out."

I went up to each of the pranksters individually, but none were talking. They just kept assuring me that I'd "figure it out."

On the way to church the next morning, I figured it out. They had nailed a roof shingle way up high in the tree, only accessible from the second story! Too bad the wind knocked it down before I could get a picture of it!


Just some of my brothers in Christ! Thank you so much, guys!



Kelly and her cutie friends.



And to the monumental roofing project, we say . . .



Our beautiful new roof made possible by our Heavenly Father and: Scott R.; Al B.; David, Zach, and Jesse R.; Scott, Barb, The Kate, Allie, Bekah, and Tim W.; Don and Hunter T.; Greg, Lynnette, Gregory, Matthias, Jacob and Caleb G.; Ron, Gina, and Pablo H.; Kaley Y; Gordon, Ben, Peter, and Mark G.; Mark, Josh, and Joel L.; Alex, Zach, Aleah and Jake S.; Tim, Janet, and Elise W.; Mike, Timothy, and Barnabas I.; Dan E.; Josh H; TYLER, KELLY, and GLENNA.

Thanks a million times over to all of you!

3 comments:

Raquel said...

Yeah, I didn't do much, but hey, I probably wouldn't have helped that much anyway :-)

I did clean up some tar and nails, though! :-)

Mrs said...

Sorry, Raquel! I only remember you and Glenna peering out from her bedroom window!

Anyway, I knew I was bound to forget someone. :-(

Unknown said...

If I'd have know there was such a party going on, I would have been over in a heartbeat! Actually, I have no idea why I wasn't there!

I love what you said about Kate. So true! In Mexico, we couldn't get her to stop working! I like working hard and all, but I'd be counting down the minutes until lunch!
"Come on, Kate! We're all starrrving!"
"Hang on. I can finish a few more things..."
;)

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker