Friday, August 24, 2007

Before and After

Ok, so this is how I feel BEFORE I go in to see Ruthie at Colour Lab:




And this is how I feel when I leave there:



Ruthie's the best. The reason I know she's the best is because I know what isn't the best! Ruthie's the stylist to follow around until you're both 80 and she retires. At that point, go to whomever she recommends because she can be trusted that. much. When I worked in a salon, I only hoped to be as good as this girl. I wasn't, so I went home.


We used to have a sign in the breakroom, posted "privately" but exactly where the clients could see it when they were being rinsed and shampooed: I'm a Beautician, not a Magician.


Ruthie is a Magician! Here is my gray in glorious display . . . .
This is Ruthie, carrying my colors . . . .
It takes no fewer than three colors to make my hair look natural. THREE. She is a color (or Colour) master. Not kidding.



We met her when Kelly was in a wedding and Ruthie did everyone's (including Kelly's) hair. She did the entire bridal party, unassisted, and we all got to church on time. You tell ME that's not amazing! Here we are, and my mouth is already flapping away. Ruthie and I love to talk.



A woman in the salon gasped, "You're getting your picture taken like THAT?" She was horrified. She must be from the South, and not California. Us Californians don't care what we look like when we're trying to tell a story!





During the school season, this is where I grade papers. I was supposed to bring a book I'm pre-reading for Kelly, but I forgot it. Ruthie supplies me with juice, water, tea, whatever! She also brings me cheese or peanut butter crackers when I get to feeling puny. Yeah, she's good like that.




Snipping off those dead ends after a marvelous shampoo. . . . can you just hear my hair break out in celebration???



At the front desk, I always book the next appointment ahead of time. If you want to spontaneously have your hair done by Ruthie, you'd better give her some notice. I had to cancel my last one and she couldn't fit me in for another month.
She's.
That.
Good.
I love it! Before: After:
















Thank you, Ruthie!

7 comments:

chocolatechic said...

You are lovely!

I love the new hair style. Very becoming.

Anonymous said...

You look just loverly!! I need to have mine done!

Anonymous said...

Hey! My mom was there today! Oh! I just love that salon. Everyone is so friendly. :]

And what purdy pictures of you (yes, even the tin foil one =P).

Thanks for the cultural lesson today!

Bagel Two said...

You...look...mahhhvelous, dahling. I am so afraid to get anything colo(u)rful done to my hair. I'm a salon hopper--always slightly dissatisfied afterward. I'm sure you have a name for people like me! There was one lady...but she wasn't there when I went back. I hate that! If I was there, I would go with you, and we could write notes back and forth on one of those paper aprons.

Mrs said...

Thank yew, ladies! Thank yew. . .

Jess, I wish I had known your mom was there! My appt. was at 11:00. Maybe I was under the dryer.

I'm also sorry I didn't get out of bed when you came over last night! I was so worn out! Please forgive me, and thank you for bringing my girl home!

BT, YES on writing on the aprons! I'd have to fill mine completely, of course.

And the name we have for people like you is: Salon-hopper. I was NEVER satisfied completely with my hairstylist until I found Ruthie. They would try to style it after the cut and after a while I'd say, "STOP!" Then I'd flip my head upsided down, mess my hair up, flipt it back up, smooth it down, then head out the door. :-D

I've not done that once with Ruthie.

Ruthie, Ruthie, Ruthie.

Unknown said...

Nice hair Jo! you look so glam! Are you from California? I'm so pleased to be able to read your blogs!

Luvya,ma

Mrs said...

MA!!! I'm so glad Mom passed it on to you! Please email me with your email address, all right? I meant to get it from Will when he was here.

How is the Will-ster? We miss him!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker