Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kelly, Friends,and School Room

This is our project, and this is our "before" picture of the little garage closet. Himself spent Sunday afternoon dragging all of this out and rearranging it. Where was I? Oh yeah . . . . Islands of Adventure. What a hubby!

This is Mr. G. I'm a firm believer in the barter system! Last year, I taught two of his boys English and US History in exchange for his help with our school room. He's one of those Engineer guys so he does carpentry so well. As you can see, our garage is detached. In the background is the back of our home and our carport. Oh, and Glenna's bike.

I may have gone overboard on the light fixtures. I think there are over 10. Himself had to cut each and every one of them out with a razor knife. There are going to be spots all over these pictures because drywall was flying everywhere.


To the left you see the unfinished "closet" wall. There he goes wearing a toolbelt again. . . be still my heart.


This is not the hired help, nor did she barter for anything. However, this is one stick-to-it girl! She jumps right in on any project and doesn't quit until we're finished. See all the stuff in the background that we had to work around? (Sigh)




I have no skills when it comes to carpentry. None. Zilch. I tried to put one screw into the wall and was told my angle was all wrong. I handed the drill back. BUT, I can hold up drywall!


Sometimes, I even work with the people I'm supposed to be helping. Sometimes.



At this point, I'm staring at a focus point. I think Lamaze breathing was coming into play, even.



Oh PULEEZE put the darn screws in already! This was just before I started my one-arm-at-a-time shuffle. Still, I don't think I was sweating nearly as much as Himself and Mr. G.



These next pictures are of the semi-finished room, but at least I was able to teach in there yesterday. The girls were given the lockers by our neighbor and they're so excited to have them! They even purchased some cute locker accessories.


From the teacher's podium, looking over the classroom. I love those French doors. The blinds are between the window panes so they don't get dusty.


More of the same.


From the back of the room, looking forward. Notice the window air unit is by ME? Bonus, I don't die. Down side, I can't hear the soft-spoken and mumbling masses. EH?



Let's get started!!! We just found out the insurance company IS actually going to pay us the money they owe us, so we'll be able to finish this room entirely. Yeah!


And now for something entirely different:
Friday night, Kelly had some friends stay over. It didn't even dawn on me that they were coming over for her birthday . . . I should have baked a cake! Poor kid, her birthday is always right before we start school and I'm running around like mad.



It was comical because her friends are so busy, too. Two of the girls in this picture had to leave early. Two more came for a while, left, then came back. How amazing is that? I would have said, "Sorry, I'm busy." Not Kelly's friends! They definitely go the extra mile for each other.



Kate (green top) has been dubbed the "best back tickler ever." She had a line of people awaiting their turn.


How I love these girls!
Time to head off to History of the World co-op!

6 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Oh to have a school room that large. I ma in school room envy!!!

Mrs said...

CC, I'm sure as soon as we get the "stuff" moved in, it won't be as large. Still, it IS a school room! I can't wait to have all the school stuff out of my house!

Bagel Two said...

You ARE out on the prairie! How cool is that! Who was the obnoxious blond girl that tormented Laura?

Mr. JLW and Mr. G=HEROES
Mrs. JLW=Luckiest Woman Alive

Anonymous said...

You guys are hard workers.
You would have been very helpful in Mexico. ;]

Mrs said...

Nellie Olsen. But she married a guy who put her in her place and then had twins. That was cool.

Jess, you KNOW they would have had me on kitchen duty the minute I tried to put a screw into the wall!

Mrs = Luckiest Woman Alive = Truth

Anonymous said...

Lockers! My kids want lockers! Plus they've asked for a lunch menu. I'm thinking ravioli and ramen as their choices! But lockers! We need some!

Great job!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker