Monday, August 20, 2007

Universal Islands of Adventure!

As the sign sez, the Adventure Begins! This is what I call my "Attempt to Take Memory Preserving Photos of My Two Oldest Children While They Adamantly Resist" adventure. Oh, and we went to Islands of Adventure, where paying your entrance fee is simply not enough; they want it ALL.

We hurried over to Dueling Dragons, walked right in with only a 5 minute wait, had one to go before we were next, and it broke down. We decided to have lunch. I packed a lunch! Next time, I'll invest the $60.00 it would take for all of us to eat all day at certain restaurants. For $20.00 per person to eat from 9:00 to 8:00, it would have been quite a deal! I just didn't have the money. So, here we are, eating lunch.


"Ok, pretend I'm not even here. Just act naturally." Naturally, Kelly hams it up. Tyler was probably still waking up at this point.


Waiting in line at Spiderman. It broke down. We came back later and I'm SO glad we did! It's the most amazing 3-D ride you'll ever experience!

On the Dr. Seuss Island, they had all sorts of Cat in the Hat things. I thought of Miz Booshay over at It Coulda' Been Worse when I saw this one!


You've got that right. Tyler was so embarrassed to have to take this picture. Kelly barely humored me. I'm sure EVERYONE does it! There were certainly enough people who bought the shirts!


We headed over to the Popeye ride and became thoroughly SOAKED. It helped cool us off for the rest of the day, so it was a good plan. It was HOT, people! After we went on the Hulk (outstanding!) rollercoaster, I was feeling a bit nauseous and drained. Getting soaked helped, but this helped even more . . .

Icees!!!! Cool, delicious, $7.63 for two of them Icees! Worth every penny and they know it, the B . . .usiness people.

I love these next photos, just a candid moment between brother and sister.


"Your Icee tastes like Nyquil. How can you drink that blue stuff?"



"What are you talking about? Yours is the cherry Nyquil, not mine."




I, of course, stole sips from both of them. Himself's mother used to buy candybars for each of the 5 kids and say she wanted a bite from each of them. Himself would run to the end of the line and cram as much of the candybar into his mouth as he could so he didn't have to share. I started to see some of the same greediness with the Icees in his children, but fortunately there's only two of them on this day and I'm pretty fast!


One thiing about Universal; they know you're going to be standing in hot lines for a long time, so they make it as interesting as possible. This was the Lost Island, where they have a bunch of greek stuff. Here, we're going into Poisidon's Temple to watch a show.

I figured out that the best way to get fuss-free pictures was to take them as they were walking ahead of me.


It looked like Ancient Greece. It felt like Ancient Greece. It was certainly HOT like Ancient Greece!


Don't those rocks look like they're going to fall on your head at any moment?


Sorry these are so washed out. That's the trident in the background there.



We didn't go on this ride. We were starting to dry off and didn't want to get soaked again. The entire island had eerie noises everywhere and dinosaur heads sticking out of the bushes. I took a picture of the sign, then remembered pictures are more interesting if you put people in them. I tried to get the kids over . . . .


"Would you just cooperate and get over here? You're just making it last longer. We could be finished by now."



This is a little picture I like to refer to as "Jurassic Sarcastic."


A highlight was when they each decided to get a temporary tattoo. This is Amanda. She's nice enough. She did a pretty good job with Ty's.



Non-toxic! Lasts up to 5 days! They had henna ones there, but Ty declared the brown to look gross. I tended to agree with him. It looked like someone played with a brown marker.


The Welsh Lion! How appropriate!



Took a little longer for Kelly to decide. Do I want green? Do I want black? Amanda helped her out by making it mostly black with green in the center.


A little brushing of powder. . .. .



The girl's going Irish on me! Well, she IS half-Irish. I guess we all have our crosses to bear. . . .

We saw that Dueling Dragons was working again, but by this time we had gone on Hulk again and I was DEFINITELY sitting this one out.


"What are you taking a picture of?"
"I'm getting a picture of the dragons!" (And YOU, heh heh)

After this, we were pretty much done. We headed out to Chili's, drank an entire pitcher of water each, then went home. I was exhausted and barely made it into the shower before bed. Ty and Kelly showered, then headed off to see friends! I don't know that I ever had that much energy.
It was a thoroughly enjoyable, hot, exhausting, good day.

7 comments:

Bagel Two said...

I feel much better, now that you've posted.

Great pics of ("Whatever, Mom!")teens. Happy Birthday, Kelly! In an unrelated comment, who thought up the boring name, 'Universal Islands of Adventure?' I'm sure someone could have thought of a more exciting name.

Remember ubiquitous, inevitable Disneyland trips? I miss those. (I can't believe I actually wrote that, but it's true.)

Well-worn Disneyland
Offered like a gift (more socks?)
Let's get back in line

Mrs said...

Actually, I shortened the title. It's "Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure." It's right next to the regular Universal Studios. The other one is for old people who don't like roller coasters. And for people who want whiplash and their eyebrows singed on Return of the Mummy.

I do remember Disneyland! Mr. Sam told me that shortly after we graduated, they were banned from Disney forever. Someone brought drugs. You're so good at Haiku!

Anonymous said...

And then I say, "What's Nyquil?"
And Kelly gives me that "What planet are you from?" look. :]

Looks like a really fun time!

P.S. So you guys got rescued by Spider-Man too?
And on more than one ocassion! Forget NY! Spider-Man is way cooler at amusement parks. =P

Qtpies7 said...

We LOVE Islands of Adventure! My kids don't even ask for Disney.
Great pics!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

The pictures bring back great memories. We went to IoA back in 2002 for my son's Make a Wish trip. We went on Spiderman and the Hulk about 6 times each. Dueling Dragons was VERY cool, but the longest we waited anywhere. (We had special passes to go to the head of the line.) Of all the places we went, this was our favorite place! My kids were 12 and 14 and quite cooperative for pictures. Not so much anymore! ;-)

Donna Boucher said...

I'm multiplying :o)

Mrs said...

Yeah, sorry about that, Donna! I'm sure there was actually a sign for you TOO, somewhere in the park.

Then again, no. There's not much Quiet Life at Universal.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker