Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Writers Must Write

A quote from Kate Braestrup, from Book Page, America's Book Review:

". . . writers write. Writers are so compelled to write that they'll keep scribbling away about nothing at all, just to watch the words line up across the page. It has nothing to do with talent. . . . if you're a writer, you'll know it because you can't not write."

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Once when I was working at Arby's, I took one of the paper liners we use for the commercial-sized baking sheets and filled the entire thing with a letter to my friend, BT. I would stop and put it away every time the drive-thru bell went off. I probably wrote about nothing and everything, but that satisfaction of filling the entire paper was so great.

Anyone else ever feel like this?

8 comments:

Bagel Two said...

Dearest Bagel, I had not thought of that liner letter in years! I love you. I love your writing. I could read it all day.

I love to write, also. I did not realize what was missing from my life until I started writing again. Thanks to you, and to AU.

Remember Keith Kelley? He wasn't the easiest person to have as a friend, but the boy could write! And he made me a much better writer. Thanks, Keith, wherever you are.

Mrs said...

I remember Keith Kelly! I also remember his writing was morose, wasn't it? Morose, but well written!

You are writing again???? JOY!!! Please send to meeeee!!!!

Bagel Two said...

A Stay-At-Home Mom's Haiku:

My kids back in school
No legos under my feet
Blessed solitude

It's not the great American novel, but haiku is fun!

Mrs said...

We love haiku! Yours makes perfect sense with Ricardo gone and your single parent summer. A few hours to have a complete, uninterrupted thought would be bliss.

Bagel Two said...

Well, to be perfectly honest--

Air conditioned room
Dim, silent, candle burning
Asleep on the couch

Not a great deal of thinking happening there.

Come on, JLW, you do one!

Mrs said...

Teen cries, "Sleep over!"
All my grocery shopping gone
Worth a thousand smiles

Ok, I guess that depends on whether you say "groce-ry" or "groc-er-y" there.

Bagel Two said...

Hey, we're easy on the Sandbar, right? There's all sorts of strict rules about haiku in Japan. But here we are--the land of the free verse.

Anonymous said...

More than once, I've been driving and suddenly had this urgent need to write down my ideas and thoughts.
I always keep a notebook with me so I can be prepared when the words come. When they come, they don't stop; I can hardly keep up. ;}

Thanks for letting me stay and watch Finding Neverland! It's inspired me. :] I've already started Peter Pan.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker