Monday, July 16, 2007

Beef Sammys

My family LOVES these sandwiches, and some things are just too good not to be shared. I can't take pictures of recipes like the Pioneer Woman does on her site (did I mention you can donate to my camera fund?), but picture this--your family members at the table with their eyes rolled back in their head with happiness, enough food to feed your family and a rock band, and warm leftovers to get through dinner so you don't have to cook that night. Sound good?





I got this recipe years ago from The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmet. I did this 30 Day cooking for over a year and loved it. Then I did the Menu Mailer at Saving Dinner for over two years, and now I'm signed up with Menus4Moms. I kind of rotate between the three.





This recipe is so EASY and yummy! Yummy enough to have a teen ask how I made it, and yummy enough to have Himself reacting with hostility to the rest of us when he discovered most of the leftovers were gone. "WHO ate some of this? Huh?"



"Uh, we did dear. It's leftover night, and those are leftovers."



"Grrrr. . . . . "



Ingredients:

2.5 lbs beef roast, chuck roast, or thick chuck steak, fat trimmed and discarded

2 pkgs. dry Ranch salad dressing mix

1 c. Water



Throw the meat in the crock pot. Sprinkle the dry Ranch dressing over the top, pour the water over all. (I then turned the meat over once and back over to coat.) Can be cooked overnight on low, or 6 hours on high heat until it shreds easily with a fork. I recommend cooking it on low, though not necessarily overnight. It might cause you to wake up periodically during the night because of the heavenly aroma and invade your dreams.



Serve on buns or hoagie rolls with fresh fruit on the side. We also add a slice of Provolone, because we like it like that. :-)



Caution: Crock pots cook differently! This weekend I started this on high while I was getting ready for church (so, from 7:30 to 8:55) then turned it on low as I headed out the door. It was perfect when we got home. You may want to try this on a day when you're home all day so you'll know how long to make it.



Variations:

Use dry Italian dressing, or Onion soup mix instead of the Ranch. We've tried them all, and Ranch is our favorite.



This can easily be doubled or tripled. I've made it with 5lbs of roast, 4 pkgs dry Ranch, and 2 c. water. This is the volume that fed the family and the rock band with some to spare.



Let me know if you try it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy.
I just might have to try it sometime.

Thanks for letting us crash today.

Bagel Two said...

Crockpot cooking is the saving of cranky stay-at-home moms everywhere. I will have to give you the sammich recipe we have for bbq beef.

Also, can I just say that Tyler looks EXACTLY like you.

Mrs said...

Yes, you may say that, but not to him. ;-) Actually, he seems pretty content to have my nose. Amazing, since he looked EXACTLY like his Daddy when he was born.

Yes please on the BBQ Beef recipe!

chocolatechic said...

I plan on trying this out tonight. The boy will be disappointed that his beef isn't bbq'd, but he will get over it quickly, or not eat. And we all know that he is going to eat!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker