Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What's for Dinner?

Our 10 year old nephew, Will, is visiting us from California. I adore this kid. He's very sweet and has such a teachable heart! I pray he holds on to that for the rest of his life!


It's been quite comical to see him try to make his preferences known when it comes to food. I'm sure he was warned/threatened by his parents to eat everything we put in front of him no matter what and to not complain about the food. Still, a 10 year old boy is a 10 year old boy, and it worries him a bit when he sees me in the kitchen, preparing food.


All of the kids (except Ty, and Kelly less now) do what I call a "flyover" to see what I'm making. They casually stroll through our narrow, galley kitchen and slow down when they get near the stove so they can peek into the pot. I once had this cookbook titled, "365 Meals" and some of the fare was more exotic than what they were used to. Ty used to send Kelly on a spy mission, and she'd run back and report, "She's making something from that book again!" (Groan, moan.)
This is the best picture I could find right now of our kitchen. Right behind Kelly, you see the new fridge. If the dishwasher is open, you have to go out of the kitchen and around to get to the other side. I've also shown you the kitchen after the girls have been cooking so you can appreciate the mess. I have no pride. ;-)


Anyway, Will, (insert southern expression of "Gawd luv 'im" here) has not learned to be so covert, yet he's still remembering he's not supposed to complain about anything I make.


His first attempt came when we were shopping for groceries. He saw me place a package of onions in the basket and his eyes got really wide. "Um. . . I'm not very fond of onions."


Ok, I admit it. I could have ended any torture here by stating that Himself hates onions, too, so I never put big raw onions in anything. I always saute them until they're not really onions anymore, or make them so small before sauteing that they disappear and leave only some flavor.


Instead, I said nothing.


First dinner, I'm making lasagne. Will comes right over and states, "Are you putting onions in that? Because I really don't like anything crunchy in my food and I'm really not fond of onions."


Again, I could have said, "No, no onions in this."


WHY? Why can't I just give the easy answer? My son has asked me this over and over again. Once a girl came to the door trying to sell magazines so she could earn a trip to Cancun if she won the contest against the boys (SCAM. I never fall for it). I entered this great debate with her when she said she was going to "drink da beer" on why I couldn't possibly send her to do that. Ty moaned, "Mom, why can't you just say no thank you?"


In the picture with Kelly, you'll notice a little blue sign near her head with a bear on it. I directed Will to the sign and invited him to read it out loud.


"There are two choices for dinner: Take it, or leave it."


He looked at me. I smiled. He looked at the sign. I turned my head so he wouldn't see me laughing. He walked out of the kitchen. Of course, the lasagne was delicious and he loved it!


Next, I'm making this beefy macaroni and cheese. Will sees the can of mushroom soup and spies the recipe for tuna casserole on the label.


"Uh, Aunt JoAnna? Did you just put tuna in that?"


"Tuna in what?"


"That stuff you're making."


"Will. Read the sign."


Ok, that didn't work, but he's still really worried about what type of food he'll be forced to eat. He tries again.


"So, what kind of fish do you guys like?"


"Fish? We don't like fish at all."


"You don't? YES! But that can says tuna on it!"


"Will, if I were to make tuna casserole and give it to Uncle John, he'd divorce me. Do I look like I want to be divorced when he treats me so well?"


"Oh. Ok."


"And Will? Read the sign."


Last night, I made tacos. I've told the kids over and over not to look at the food as I prepare it, since it never looks appetizing until it's done [to them]. Will had decided that all subtlety doesn't work and he should get right to the point.


"What's that?"


"Dinner. Read the sign."


8 comments:

chocolatechic said...

bwahahahahaha!!!

When I married my husband I told him plain out....eat what I fix, or it will end up in your lap!

He never once has tested me to see if I meant it. :) He likes his food way to much.

Anonymous said...

*snort*!!

I now answer all such questions by saying (in my slightly-deranged-mommy voice) "GO AWAY!"

Mrs said...

Sarah, I only do that when they keep asking me questions they can easily answer themselves if they only THINK a little! Though it usually sounds like, "Stop talkING TO MEEEEEE!!!!" (Voice pitch getting higher and more deranged at the end.)

CC, Himself was starving when we married and we both were sick of eating out. Unfortunately, I only knew how to make salads and set the table. We grilled on the hibachi almost nightly because it's all HE knew how to do!

Now, he LOVES my cooking. It's the kids who haven't caught on!

Saph said...

Ha ha ha! Too funny! I found your blog through one of the contests you entered. :)
I see that you're in FL. Where? I'm in Seffner by Tampa.

Blessings!

Saph said...

I'm sorry, actually it was from a comment you made to a question about if a husband was to tell his wife that all she does is stay home.
Oh, and is that a pic of a schnauzer?? We have 2!

Mrs said...

Saph, you have made the daring step that we're not ready to take in having TWO schnauzers! They're such mighty packages in small bodies and need to be taken with caution. I love them!

If I said I was in O-town, would you know where that was? ;-) Himself has to go to Tampa all the time. I'm from California, and it wasn't until I went to the Tampa beaches that my world was suddenly "right." I could face the water and NORTH was on the correct side!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so evil! Hahahaha! Poor guy, agonizing what he will eat next. I'm fortunate to be dating a man who would eat anything. ANYTHING.

Bagel Two said...

I have to get that sign. Or make my own. Ricardo and I are continually at cross purposes in regard to dinner. I hate to make it. When I do, he does not arrive home in time to eat it. When I don't, he immediately asks what's for dinner. It is to cry.

Ohio has no beach. Sigh.

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker