Thursday, July 26, 2007

Have some Milk. Just don't drink it all!

I may be completely alone in this. I may be the only Mom on the face of the planet who feels this way, but it totally irks me when someone drinks a full glass of milk. It irks me even more (and here I firmly put my foot down) when they have a second glass.

What is this? What's so irritating about it?

Several years ago when things were pretty lean here at the Sandbar, I witness my family go into panic mode when we would run out of milk. It didn't matter that I had been digging through the dregs of my pantry just to put food on the table. It didn't matter that they hadn't seen a meal with side dishes in days and days. When we ran out of milk, it was as if we had just become a third world country.

"We're poor! What are we going to do?"

I assured my family that there were many dietary options to get the same nutrition they would get from milk, but it didn't matter. To them, we were one step away from the cardboard condo at Hooverville.

I hate going to the store JUST for milk. I hate that milk prices are just about $4.00 per gallon! Don't try to tell me that milk is still cheaper than a single latte at Starbucks. I'm trying to make a point here, and everyone knows Starbucks doesn't count.

I started to show my family how we could actually live without milk. They didn't like it. I slowly started to have milk around again, but when we ran out I would NOT go to the store for more until the next shopping day.

This led to my children not eating breakfast because there. Was. No. Milk. Never mind that we had pancakes, eggs, waffles, toast, and fruit. They couldn't eat cereal, ergo they couldn't have breakfast.

Ty gave up eating breakfast all together. Granted, when he became a teen he didn't get up until lunch, but that's beside the point. I'm thankful to say my girls figured out how to make something to eat without milk.

To this day, when we sit down to dinner and a few of my family members insist on drinking milk with their meal, I feel irked. I guess I need to get over it.

Still, I'm not going to the store if we run out.

10 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

My kids feel the same way about milk. We can be out of potatos and bread and butter but God forbid we run out of milk! We go through about 4 gallons a week. I dont ever just sit and drink milk but every one else in the family does so we keep smiling and buying milk! LOL

Bagel Two said...

Half of our family does not drink milk, but the other half feels the same way. Thank God Ricardo will settle for a bagel with cream cheese instead of cereal. But even though Chloe won't put milk on her cereal, she MUST have milk to drink--yes, the whole glass. Repeat as desired.

chocolatechic said...

About 8 years ago, a friend of mine began to give me 2 gallons of raw milk a week. We skimmed the cream, made butter, and had buttermilk to boot. We were livin' high! Then she moved.

I hadn't purchased milk for 2 years and the sticker shock took my breath away. I refused to pay $1.99 for a gallon of milk. That was when I went to powdered milk.

I have purchased 1 gallon of milk in the last 6 years. My daughter said she felt like a queen being able to drink milk. I felt like a heel.

I still refuse to purchase milk. :)

Mrs said...

I remember my MIL offering to buy a gallon of milk so Will could drink as much as he wanted last time he was here. Talk about feeling like a heel, but we're on a budget!

Mrs. Darling, why didn't I think of that? Keep smiling and keep buying?

CC, my brother used to work on a dairy. All the free milk we wanted. Those were the days! I tell you what, I'd give anything to pay $1.99 per gallon!

BT, it's the "repeat as desired" that give me fits. Grrrrrr. . .

Bagel Two said...

I've never had milk straight from the dairy. Does it the taste differ from store-bought? What usually sends me to the moon about The Milk-Drinkers is that inevitable phrase,"There's no milk!" Uttered with such outrage and surprise. What did they think was going to happen when they had it on their cereal, drank four glasses and then made a milkshake?

Anonymous said...

Ahem. I confess I am quite guilty when it comes to this.
I love milk.
I drink it in my cereal every morning and at least one FULL glass a day.

In Mexico, all of our milk was rationed, so I bought my own. :]

Mrs said...

See, if more people were like Jess and took responsibility for their own gallon, it would be fine! I just hate the very scenario BT described, and then everyone assumes I'm the only one capable of going to the store and getting the milk. The cry of despair is a pointing finger of accusation directed toward ME, the one who goes WITHOUT so everyone else has some!

Not that I'm bitter, or anything.

;-)

Bagel Two said...

Jess, I commend you for your courage and forward-thinking. You could single-handedly change the course of future Cranky Moms and Milk-Drinkers alike! Go, girl!

I myself drink soy milk. Plain on the cereal and chocolate in the glass. And I go to the store to buy more When It's Time.

Mr. JLW said...

just so i'm clear. We are not talking in code here ..... you know free milk and the cow thing???

I am and always will be the guy that stands at the door of the fridge and yells "who took the last of the milk" like it was all mine and every body else was just borrowing it and dident pay me back. Those darn kids

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I was in sympathy with you this morning. I open the fridge and, guess what? Yes, no milk and I'm more than ready to eat my breakfast which required milk. So here I am in my sweaty clothes, Jessie still snoring away, and I have to go get milk for the family smelling like a gym. Oh, well, my mom always said I'd miss these times one day when all the kids are grown. I guess she's right. But until then, I wish someone else would notice WE NEED MILK! :-)

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker