Friday, July 20, 2007

What Does She Use?

Home school curriculum offers so many options, it's completely overwhelming. Parents who don't have a home school philosophy before going to the convention will find their heads spinning! How to narrow down the choices?





When I started, we were broke. Anything I bought had to be for more than one child and for more than one year. OR, I had to at least be able to reuse the teacher manual. Here's a rough sketch of my criteria:





1. Must be God honoring and Christ centered
2. Must increase a love of learning
3. Must be academically excellent
4. Must be reusable
5. May I teach it to more than one child at the same time?



It's hard to find, say, a math program that would be Christ centered, but I at least found a Christian company! Three years ago, I met Steve Demme of Math-U-See in person, and he's such a great guy. I embarrassed myself by gushing all over him about how he saved my LIFE, and he wanted to put me on their next promotional video. I see him at the convention every year now and he's always so gracious to talk to me.



Later in this journey, I realized almost all the things I use have been written and personally used by home school families. I stayed away from the mega-textbook companies who had non-home school men in suits selling the books. They obviously don't know what it's like to teach at home, and their textbooks reflected that.


Over the years, I have used the SAME math program - Math-U-See. It has saved my life. Literally. (And I don't mean that in a literary sense.)


When I had to teach phonics, I used Alphabet Island Phonics. It was so thorough and wondeful! I miss not having to teach it. :-(


Ok, so what am I using NOW?


For my 6th grader:
Discovering Our Amazing God (Deeper Roots Publications, for Bible, geography, social studies, history)
Math-U-See - Zeta level
Easy Grammar 6
Phonics Zoo Spelling (she's almost done, so for a few weeks only)
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (I teach this in my home to other home schoolers)
KONOS for science
Around the World in 180 Days (Plus various maps from Geography Matters)

I used to use KONOS, a unit study, exclusively for every subject but math and phonics. Now that I have one in high school and one in grade school, I can no longer teach them all together as I used to. I am teaming up with BA and she likes a little more structure, plus I want her to be able to do more on her own at this age. Glenna, that is. Not BA.




For my 10th Grader:
Bible (KONOS History of the World I)
English III Honors (KONOS History of the World I)
Biology Honors (Apologia Biology, a creation science)
Geometry (Math-U-See, of course!)
Art Appreciation/History/Criticriticism (KONOS History of the World I)
History of the World I (Guess what it is? :-D )
Individual and Dual Sports (she's going to sign up for softball. We're excited!)
Personal Fitness (Uh. . . running around the neighborhood, learning about nutrition, making and following a personal fitness program. Yeah.)

OOOOH! And most exciting of all! She's taking an art class with KR, Phyllis's Mom. I've shamelessly begged this woman for about 4 years to teach an art class and she's finally agreed. I have to look up the course codes to see what credit to give Kelly for high school.



Most of my 10th grader's books have been passed down from her brother. Any of the KONOS stuff I received the first year of our home school (John bartered some work for it from the Florida rep) and I've not needed to buy that again. In fact, this year was the LEAST expensive year of home schooling for me, and that's with buying most of the 6th grade stuff new!



And there you have it.

We have quite the home school network here, so I'm so blessed. I have been able to place my children in classes with other home school students, so they have the benefit of accountability to other teachers, working as a team with other students, and class presentations. It's nice to be able to hand-pick people to teach your child!

Kelly has taken an English class with KR for four years. She took a science class with another woman last year, and will take biology with her this year. She also had an EXCELLENT teacher come to our home (with other kids) for Spanish, and then I chained her to the table to get her to do algebra with her as well.

Glenna participated in my English composition class last year and will this year. Hopefully, she'll be able to participate in the science classes when she's in high school. We've also done co-ops with other families every year but one.

See? Us home schoolers DO get out of the house. ;-)

14 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I am glad you found a math that you like.

This year, for the girl I am doing "Life of Fred". Abeka is KILLING me with their math!!!

chocolatechic said...

I also see that you enjoy Donna Young's web site. I was a moderator on her forum till she shut it down. I just love her dearly!!!

Anonymous said...

I know this may sound weird, but I'm ready for school to start.
I need some structure in my days, that accountability you're talking about.

Reading your school plans makes me excited about my own.
I am so psyched about my history and Bible courses this year! (I told you about my history program, and then Clay, my youth pastor, is doing an in-depth Bible course with me!)
I'm excited to learn IMPORTANT stuff!

It sounds like you guys have some neat courses lined up, yourselves. :]

P.S. Is KONOS the curriculum that does the "A is Amazing" program?

Mrs said...

Donna Young is a life-saver for anyone who uses Apologia! I never knew she had a forum. :-)

Jess, I'm definitely going to check out the history you suggested. I'm not ready for school to start simply because I'm not PREPARED! I have no idea what my "structured days" are going to be yet - I haven't sat down to figure it out.

Mrs said...

Oh, and no, KONOS does not have "A is Amazing."

BOSSY said...

Bossy home-schooled her son when they lived on the farm. It was totally informative for her son. Completely exhausting for Bossy.

Still excellent, though, to know how much school work can be accomplished in a smaller amount of time ... leaving energy for other forms of growing.

Mrs said...

A visit from Chocolatechic AND Bossy? Wow!

I completely agree with Bossy. I had no idea how tied down we were when the kids were in public school. Once we were free from their schedule, we were amazed at how little time it took to finish school! It was fantastic for exploring.

Kristi said...

I love MUS, too!! Thanks for welcoming us into your open house!

Hugs!
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Nice to "meet" you. :)
Cindy

www.homeschoolblogger.com/westward

Melissa Markham said...

Thanks for inviting us to your homeschool:) It is great to find curriculum you can use year after year (makes the searching part easier). And isn't it such a blessing to have a good homeschool group!

Anonymous said...

I'm touring the Open House Blogs.

Defining your criteria before shopping-- excellent advice. And your criteria are great too!

Blessings...

Andrea said...

I enjoyed your post! Thank you for sharing your homeschool with us!

~Andrea
You are doing a wonderful job - your homeschool sounds like so much fun! Isn't it amazing how much children learning from being read to?

Thank you so much for sharing!

~Andrea
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/andijeane/

Anonymous said...

I have been a total fan of MUS for six years now. Love it.

Also, last year we used IEW for the first time. Truly, it produces excellence!

Enjoyed your post.
Michele

Anonymous said...

We just started Math U See and really like it!

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker