Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What She Said . . .

. . . and said again, evidently.

I say the exact same things over and over. It's not in a wise, elder-departing-wisdom sort of way, either. No one will look back and say, "As Mrs always said. . . . "

Ok, maybe God will grant me a few of those, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Case in point:

We were watching Terminator 2. We got to the scene where Linda Hamilton is making her escape and running through the halls of the mental hospital. She's running full tilt when the elevator doors suddenly open, and out steps the Terminator. Completely shocked and horrified, Linda backpeddals as fast as she can, her face a mask of sheer panic.

I added interest to the scene by stating, "You would have to see the first Terminator to fully appreciate her reaction here!"

Ty: "I know, Mom. You say that every single time we watch this movie. In fact, I was waiting to see if you'd say it again."

Well, watch the first one already! Then I can stop saying it!

BT can attest to this. Before our junior year of high school, my mom and I took a trip out to New Mexico to visit family. I picked up some lemon drops for snacking on the drive home.

BT would come over to my house and I would politely offer her a remaining lemon drop.

"Would you like a lemon drop? These are from New Mexico."

It became a joke between BT and I whenever one of us were repeating ourselves. "Did I already say that? Oh. These are from New Mexico."

I forget which movie we were watching the other night, but I suddenly felt inspired to add interest to the story again with a tidbit. This time, I stopped myself. Instead, I said, "I'm about to say something that I've probably already said, so instead I'm not going to say it!"

Tyler laughed and encouraged me to say it anyway. I was relieved to find out it was an entirely NEW statement. HA! I do still have original thoughts!

6 comments:

Bagel Two said...

Hey, I was going to tell that story!

Ricardo and I have our own: the late Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame spoke at my mom's graduation from MATC. I would tell R this every time we stopped at Wendy's or saw a Wendy's commercial. And now it is my weapon of revenge whenever he repeats one of HIS many stories. The joy of almost twenty years of marriage...

And by the way, I am glad that I am not the only one who talks during the movie.

Mrs said...

No, no. I don't TALK during the movie, I add tidbits of interest! There's a difference!

Talking would be like my SIL, Will's mom. We're trying to watch something emotional and dramatic, and during the PEAK of emotion she'll say something like, "Oh look! He's crying. See, he's crying because he was sad about that."

Gawd luv 'er!

Bagel Two said...

You go ahead, dear. Rationalize it all you want; I knew we were sisters under the skin. I will adopt your policy immediately.

"That's the girl from Scrubs!"

"Shhhh!"

"It's a point of interest!"

"Look at that. Spock/Spiderman/Superman/Elizabeth Bennet would never do/say/wear that!"

"SHHHH!"

"Well, they wouldn't!"

chocolatechic said...

The boy says I do things like this. I think that his memory is faulty!

Mrs. Darling said...

Mrs. Could you email me. My email addy is on my side bar. Id like to pick your brain a little about how you do your homeschool coop. I have a lot of questions since its new territory for me. Ive always schooled on my own.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh out loud more than once!

I always end up telling the same stories 2 or 3 times, only because I can't ever remember who I've told what to!
This shouldn't be happening to me, yet, should it? =P

Ooo a surprise from Kelly?
I'll be at the show tonight, if you guys will be there....

Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker